+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-amp recommendation please

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem to change the pot I think, from memory the original is quite large as stated above. Fitting the same resistance won't affect the sound.

I have a feeling that the original isn't a stepped attenuator at all, just that there is an indent mechanism built into the pot. I wonder if that can be defeated to give continuous rotation.
    I will gladly look at it for you if you wish.
    If you think the stepped attenuator could be replaced / defeated, I would be happy for you to take a look Alan Thanks.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Alan.

I have checked the circuit diagram and the volume control is an active stage, so I'm convinced the 'step' positions are built into the vol pot mechanism.

However you can't just replace the pot with a standard one as the 'law' of the pot, that is the degree of change of resistance per rotational turn isn't standard.
    The pot is specially made for Quad with a special law to suit the active volume stage.

If anything can be done it would have to be a mechanical modification to the fitted volume control.

I'm Mike.

Do you reckon it is doable mechanically ? ie removing the indented ring (I assume) that retains the ball bearings (?) to imitate steps.

I'm Alan.

I would think so, they have to be assembled originally so dis-assembly should be possible.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I was never a fan of the 34 myself, preferring the 44 in all its versions as I thought the sound clearer...

The 66 and 77 were rather better again I thought, offering clearer reproduction of recording venue and greater dynamic contrasts on rock and jazz material. The 77 had a flaky remote system and this all but killed the original company I gather, but of you can find a clean one, you may love it as I do. The 99 was similar I gather but these were sold as systems so may not come up alone.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

P.S. The output gain on the 34 was adjustable, so it may be possible to customise it that way?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I was never a fan of the 34 myself, preferring the 44 in all its versions as I thought the sound clearer...
    I thought so too. The 34 has a sound that will never offend, but I just didn't find it very exciting.

I'm Mike.

Looking for Quad 66 or 77 pre's reveals none for sale, unfortunately.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I would think so, they have to be assembled originally so dis-assembly should be possible.
    Would you be happy to take a look, should I go down that route, Alan ?

I'm Alan.

Yes no problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast