+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another WoW ! why do we continually spend more (upgrade ?) moments ?

I'm Mike.

Default Another WoW ! why do we continually spend more (upgrade ?) moments ?

Haven't had one of these for quite a while.

I'm in between my main speakers at the moment, sold and dispatched my wonderful old Heco 300's, waiting for my new ............................ Heco 300's to arrive.

So, in the interim, slapped a £ 30 pair of Tannoy Mercury M1's on the end of my whacking great Class A power amp and a real moment ensues. They sound great, don't give an awful lot away to the Heco's. I could quite happily live with these.

Yes, of course the Heco's are better, but not at everything and not by as much as I would have thought / expected / hoped.

Sometimes you have to wonder why we chase that extra few % for 10x the cost
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Grant.

Got a lovely set of those in spare room. Yes they work well
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Someone said to me many years ago that HiFi is a mugs game and that people end up wasting huge amounts of money trying to get tiny improvements. He said it's better to just get a simple system you're happy with it and leave it there.

I completely ignored him of course and proceeded to waste hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of pounds on stuff I never use but can't be bothered selling on.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

These hadn't been used in 10+ years Grant.

I didn't expect much and got a great deal. If I had been wiser and re-appropriated some of the £1000's I have spent on kit over the years, just to gain / lose the odd few % here and there, I'd have a legendary record collection and that's what it's all about, after all.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    Someone said to me many years ago that HiFi is a mugs game and that people end up wasting huge amounts of money trying to get tiny improvements. He said it's better to just get a simple system you're happy with it and leave it there.
    Couldn't agree with him more John. But it's only age and experience that leads us there, and even then, some of us never arrive

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    Couldn't agree with him more John. But it's only age and experience that leads us there, and even then, some of us never arrive
    Yep. I'm worse than ever now. There's about three grand worth of stuff I've got my eye on at the moment, all money that could be going into my pension or something, but that would be boring wouldn't it.

I'm Phil.

The other day I had my 100 pound bw standmounts playing and a visiting audiophile preferred them to my new 4k speakers that were also playing !!!
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Joe.

Compared to the kit that I see on the site, I feel like a bottom feeder! ;-) But I started out with an all in one system, then a Cambridge Audio A1 amp, etc. and eventually found a deal on my dream amp an Audiolab 8000A. That was over 20 years ago and am still running the same gear. I got to that level and just never found the want to upgrade any further as I simply liked what I heard. What is wrong with me!? ;-)
    I ended up putting that money into cars instead and wasting(enjoying) a ton of money in that way while enjoying my music on my system in the evenings.

Before last Christmas I did buy new speakers. The first floorstanders that I ever owned. A lovely sound. Different to my standmounts, but better? I am not sure to be honest. Not worse for sure. it's a strange old game this!
    Also with cars.....I've owned mine now for 13 years and never felt the need to upgrade..... what's wrong with me!??!? :-0 ;-)

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Joe View Post
    Compared to the kit that I see on the site, I feel like a bottom feeder! ;-) But I started out with an all in one system, then a Cambridge Audio A1 amp, etc. and eventually found a deal on my dream amp an Audiolab 8000A. That was over 20 years ago and am still running the same gear. I got to that level and just never found the want to upgrade any further as I simply liked what I heard. What is wrong with me!? ;-)
    I ended up putting that money into cars instead and wasting(enjoying) a ton of money in that way while enjoying my music on my system in the evenings.

Before last Christmas I did buy new speakers. The first floorstanders that I ever owned. A lovely sound. Different to my standmounts, but better? I am not sure to be honest. Not worse for sure. it's a strange old game this!
    Also with cars.....I've owned mine now for 13 years and never felt the need to upgrade..... what's wrong with me!??!? :-0 ;-)
    I lost the bug for cars years ago and don't regret it at all. They just aren't worth spending loads of money on in my opinion. But I do get why other people love them and want to own nice cars. I suppose they are similar to hifi in that way.

My hifi is now worth more (in new prices) than I paid for my car brand new 7 years ago.

I'm Dennis.

Interesting comparison between cars and Hi-Fi.

Both can have ego/status value, but few have Hi-Fi and do so thinking about status. Cars cost a lot to maintain and run, and roads are not as free and easy as they were half a century ago. I used to ride big bikes, but the cameras and traffic density have spoilt that, and for me car driving is not so pleasureful because of traffic density.

Once you have a system you like, it can provide pleasure continually and virtually cost free, and this is especially good in the winter, and for relaxing after say, a workout or a hard day's work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast