+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looks interesting but

I'm Chris.

Default Looks interesting but

Why is it I prefer the sound without?

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/blo...m_medium=email
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Why is it I prefer the sound without?
    Because it does sound better without, though I think it might be due to a slight level difference. Either way, it's a useless demo of a useless product.

Bigman80 Guest

I'm pretty sure he must have put the samples the wrong way round.

I'm Martin.

I don't know. There's a clear difference but the 'with' sample seems to have a bit more decay to it. Mistake to assume the one you prefer is the one that is more accurate to the recording, it might not be.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The 'without' sound clip has more attack and better decay. It also sound a tad louder.

However the two sound clips are not of the same sample, so it's a bit difficult to judge.

Anyway since my pre to power interconnects are 15m long, doing without this braiding will save me over £35!
    Barry

I'm Chris.

If my system sounded as distorted as the last 10 seconds of the 'with' example I would give up and go home.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    If my system sounded as distorted as the last 10 seconds of the 'with' example I would give up and go home.
    How do we know that's not the actual guitar sound? There's nothing to explain how these recordings were made.

just had a listen again although only on crappy laptop speakers. There is big difference between the two samples, could pick it blind every time. Regardless of which one is supposed to be the one with the sleeving I'd be amazed if the sleeving made that kind level of difference unless the 'ground and electrical interference issues' it claims to solve were extreme. And demoing it in an extremely hostile environment would be...slightly disingenuous.

There's something not quite right with this.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm nigel.

You know, this is a perfect example of why normal people laugh at us.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    You know, this is a perfect example of why normal people laugh at us.
    Agreed - both samples sound bad, but IMO the 'without' version sounded better.

Also agree with Martin, we don't know how the recordings were made - so as a demonstration it's pretty useless.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread