View Poll Results: How do you rate this Album?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

1 14.29%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

1 14.29%
  • 6/10

1 14.29%
  • 7/10

0 0%
  • 8/10

3 42.86%
  • 9/10

1 14.29%
  • 10/10

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Album Club, July 2018: Iona - 'Beyond These Shores'

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, July 2018: Iona - 'Beyond These Shores'

The Album Club choice for July comes courtesy of Neil (Dalek Supreme DL) with Iona - "Beyond These Shores". As always please listen to the album in its entirety before you comment and/or vote.

Iona - Beyond These Shores (1993, UK, What Records WHAD 1300, Release Date1993, CD)

Iona was/is a progressive Celtic rock band from the United Kingdom, which was formed in the late 1980s by lead vocalist Joanne Hogg and multi-instrumentalists David Fitzgerald and Dave Bainbridge, later joined by Troy Donockley, playing the uilleann pipes, low whistles, and other instruments.

By the time Iona released their first self-titled album in 1990, drummer Terl Bryant, bassist Nick Beggs (formerly the bassist of Kajagoogoo), Fiona Davidson on Celtic harp, Peter Whitfield on strings, Troy Donockley on Uilleann pipes and percussionist Frank van Essen had joined the band. The first album Iona concentrated mostly on the history of the island of Iona, from which the band got its name.

Iona returned in 1992 with The Book of Kells, a concept album with several tracks based on pages from the eponymous book. Terl Bryant took over on drums and percussion for this album after the departure of Frank van Essen. Fitzgerald left the band that year to pursue a degree in music.

Beyond These Shores, the band's third album, was released in 1993 and included guest musician Robert Fripp. The album was loosely based on the legendary voyage of St. Brendan to the Americas before Christopher Columbus, but the band did not intend for it to be viewed strictly as a "concept album".
    Taken from: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iona_(band))

Not many seem to have heard of Iona which is a great shame as the band have produced many wonderful albums over the years, their last one being released in 2011. I suspect this maybe because they are viewed as being mainly a Christian band and while its certainly true that often their songs reflect that faith, to pigeon hole them as just being a Christian band would be to do them a massive diservice as frankly the quality of musicianship and song writing on offer, I feel, transend any such pigeon holing. Iona are a wonderful example of Celtic, folk, progressive rock some of whose members are Christians.

Beyond These Shoes is a beautiful, haunting, uplifting, deeply moving, and exhilarating listen, intricate passages of soaring guitars, intricate bass playing, swirling keyboards, stands along side simple folk instrumentation and Joanne Hogg's magical voice.

Its hard to pick particular tracks as better than others as all of them are excellent, so I won't. Please listen to them all.

I discovered Iona at just the right time as I got to see them play live twice, and both gigs were standouts for me. This band can do what you hear on record live and it was better.

For me this is a 9 out of 10 album. I find it incredibly moving and the track 'Beachy Head' in particular always makes me cry.

The album was re released in re mixed form by Open Sky Records in 2003. I prefer the original release

Credits

Band

Joanne Hogg - Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Keyboards
    Dave Bainbridge - Guitars, Piano, Keyboards
    Nick Beggs - Chapman stick, Bass guitars, Ashbury Bass
    Terl Bryant - Drums, Percussion
    Mike Haughton - Saxophone, Flute, Whistle, Recorder, Vocals

Additional Musicians and Special Guests

Robert Fripp - Guitars, Frippertronics
    Frank Van Essen - Violin (on Machrie Moor)
    Peter Whitfield - Violins, Viola
    Troy Donockley - Uilleann pipes, Low Whistles, E-Bow Guitar
    Fiona Davidson - Celtic Harp
    Debbie Bainbridge (Dave's wife) - Oboe
    String Ensemble
    Francis Cummings - Violin
    Mansell Morgan - Violin
    Richard Williamson - Viola
    Anna Frazer - Cello
    Christopher Hoyle - Cello
    Rebecca Whettan - Cello

Track listing

All track composed by Iona except where noted

Disc - Total Time – 68:26
    "Prayer on the Mountain" – 2:53
    "Treasure" – 4:26
    "Brendan's Voyage (Navigatio)" – 4:13
    "Edge of the World" – 4:47
    "Today" – 3:14
    "View of the Islands" – 2:30
    "Bird of Heaven" – 9:11
    "Murlough Bay" – 4:11
    "Burning Like Fire" – 4:57
    "Adrift" – 3:48
    "Beachy Head" – 5:46
    "Machrie Moor" (Fiona Davidson) – 4:34
    "Healing" (Davidson) – 4:47
    "Brendan's Return" – 4:16
    "Beyond These Shores" – 4:53

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...YfnxE2HtgiGFTJ

Individual tracks:

"Prayer on the Mountain" – 2:53

"Treasure" – 4:26

"Brendan's Voyage (Navigatio)" – 4:13

"Edge of the World" – 4:47

"Today" – 3:14

"View of the Islands" – 2:30

"Bird of Heaven" – 9:11

"Murlough Bay" – 4:11

"Burning Like Fire" – 4:57

"Adrift" – 3:48

"Beachy Head" – 5:46

"Machrie Moor" (Fiona Davidson) – 4:34

"Healing" (Davidson) – 4:47

"Brendan's Return" – 4:16

"Beyond These Shores" – 4:53
    Last edited by Album Club; 29-06-2018 at 12:31.

I'm Neil.

I hadn't listened to this album in awhile, and my thoughts, that the 'Album Club' included in the opening post were based on my recollections, since selecting this album for this month and listening anew in the last few days my appreciation for this album has grown, it really is something special I feel and I hope folks give it ago.

If you like Clannad, Renaissance and prog rock with a folk vibe, or just prog in general (even folk) I think you will like this, but even if you don't listen to that genre or you are new to prog please still give this album a listen.

Still a 9 out of 10 for me.
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A group new to me. I found it very relaxing. Not sure if I would go out and buy it, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I'll give it 8/10.
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    A group new to me. I found it very relaxing. Not sure if I would go out and buy it, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I'll give it 8/10.
    Finally a comment

Glad you enjoyed it Barry.
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Mea culpa - despite running the Album Club, I am poor at promptly listening to and commenting on the submissions.

I have a backlog of five or six other submissions to listen to.

(Someone has voted (1/10) without commenting. Now that is annoying; if they didn't like it why don't they just say it's not to their tastes?)
    Barry

I'm Loz.

Hi Neil

I did give it a listen, but despite the great musicianship its just not my cup of tea really. I'll give it a 6.5 overall with the extra .5 awarded for Robert Fripp being involved. As always thannks for the suggestion.

Cheers
    Loz

I'm Deleted.

I’m afraid I didn’t like it. I think it is the prog element mixed with the folk that I find jarring. I also find the prog playing/composition a bit unimaginative. The folk element reminds me of Capercaillie - but not as good. Sorry all, but it’s not for me; I gave it a 5 but wouldn’t play it again.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread