+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: What Is Going On With Online News These Days?

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I think Boulder, Colorado was where 'Mork and Mindy' was set. Place looked beautiful, and with the added bonus of hassle-free weed shopping! What's not to like.

If you're ever over here and good food is on the agenda, Marco is probably the AoS resident 'foodie'. As long as you can tolerate all the farting.
    Mom and I were just saying how much more we fart when we’re old! If he can tolerate mine, I can deal with his.

When I was in Colorado, we burned up rolls of film! (Remember film?), but no pictures did justice. I’m sure any large mountain range will have the same effect. From valley to peak is about 9,000 feet difference, so the Rockies are pretty tall. I’m not sure how that compares to others, like the Alps? Which look super awesome in pictures! Pictures of the Swiss Alps with cog trains and quaint little mountain villages, looks like the place to be!

Russ

I'm Steve.

I'd imagine the Alps and the Rockies would be broadly similar in appearance. Mont Blanc, at 15000+ feet is the highest mountain in Europe, but is actually in the French Alps. Same neck of the woods though.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

I'd imagine the Alps and the Rockies would be broadly similar in appearance. Mont Blanc, at 15000+ feet is the highest mountain in Europe, but is actually in the French Alps. Same neck of the woods though.
    Highest in Europe is Mount Elbrus in the Caucasus, 18000 feet.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Russell.

The Rockies range from 12,000 to 15,000 feet. But how low the valley is gives the overall impression of how tall it is. Denver is 5,280 ft. And Pike’s Peak, right behind Denver, is 14,110, so that 9,000 feet of difference will give you a crick in the neck looking up at it! The tallest peak of the Rockies is Mt. Elbert at 14,440. There is a dirt road all the way to the top of Pike’s Peak, with a restaurant on top! They have races up the mountain every year. The Grand Tetons in Wyoming are extremely steep! The sides are so straight up, they seem impossible to climb. We actually camped at over 12,000 feet, the sky like I’ve never seen it. Stars of all different colors, spiraling up forever, looking like they were all different distances away. And the air was so thin you couldn’t take 5 steps without stopping to catch your breath. And looking out at the horizon you could easily see the curvature of the Earth.

18,000 feet is high! I imagine it’s very hard to breath at that height.

Russ

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Highest in Europe is Mount Elbrus in the Caucasus, 18000 feet.
    I stand corrected, I'm guessing this is because a lot of countries that used to be in the Soviet Union are now Eastern Europe?

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

I stand corrected, I'm guessing this is because a lot of countries that used to be in the Soviet Union are now Eastern Europe?
    No, it was always in Europe. Europe ends at the Ural Mountains which are much further East.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

No, it was always in Europe. Europe ends at the Ural Mountains which are much further East.
    Thanks Martin, I like learning new stuff. I think my internet must be broken. Having said that, I seem to remember being told it was Mont Blanc when I was at school. If I could get inside my head and have a good tidy up, I'd chuck out everything I learned at school and just keep the stuff I've learned since. That would make some space for more useless facts (my favourite kind).

By the way, where does Eurovision end?

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Martin.

Eurovision can only be destroyed with fire. They not teach you that at school?

I think the Mont Blanc thing is Western Europe. I mean if you think about it you wouldn't say Moscow is a city in Asia would you?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The division between Europe and Asia is an artificial construct and one which is subject to debate by geographers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounda...nents_of_Earth In fact it is a single continent: Eurasia.

There is a place, somewhere in Russia (I can't remember exactly where), displaying a sign demarcating the division between the Europe and Asis, where all rivers to the west flow westwards into 'Europe', and all rivers to the east flow eastwards towards 'Asia'.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The division between Europe and Asia is an artificial construct and one which is subject to debate by geographers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounda...nents_of_Earth In fact it is a single continent: Eurasia.

There is a place, somewhere in Russia (I can't remember exactly where), displaying a sign demarcating the division between the Europe and Asis, where all rivers to the west flow westwards into 'Europe', and all rivers to the east flow eastwards towards 'Asia'.
    Hah! I counter your Wikepedia with Wikipedia of my own. Hah!:

Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast