+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is Going On With Online News These Days?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Check out MK Ultra (not the band) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra
    I was reading about that (again) recently.

I'm Martin.

I don't read any newspapers or watch TV news or read news on the internet. Don't understand why people think some bollocks a politician is talking is of any more value then the bollocks that Tracy off of Love Island is talking.

Don't watch that either, I'm just guessing that there is a bird called Tracy on it. Or possibly a bloke.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

I do wonder if the online news sites put these terrible articles up with headlines that seem far more current and interesting than they are just to be click bait, so that they can get more site visits which will help with revenue from the advertising. Actual real news has become secondary to just getting people on to the site.
    ~Paul~

I'm Geoff.

I don't read any newspapers or watch TV news or read news on the internet.
    Ah, well there's been something called BREXIT going on for a while, but I guess you've missed that .

Oh. And we've had WW3. It only lasted about four minutes, but there's not much left of China and India and Russia is 'walking wounded'!

I'm Paul.

I only ever read the Daily Mail if I'm over at my mother's house. I don't know if I've just been unlucky but I've never seen any articles like that in it. Aside from a couple of pages of news it is more like a women's magazine. Celebs, fashion, dieting, all that crap.

Sometimes there is an opinion piece about something vaguely controversial but it's generally a case of tl/dr for me with them.

Sorry if I've spoiled anyone's left-wing fantasies.
    I’m not really sure what a left-wing fantasy would be.

TBF, it was a long time ago. I think that all the papers have evolved to some degree in order to compete with social media. The news used to be in either a newspaper or the TV but now it can be brought to you from all over the internet.
    ~Paul~

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I’m not really sure what a left-wing fantasy would be.
    That a right-wing newspaper called the Daily Mail branded judges 'enemies of the people'. Oh, wait, that actually happened.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I read the Daily Mail once and immediately become paranoid that my neighbour, who secretly was an immigrant, was going to kick down my front door, kill my family and rape my dog.
    Something similar actually happened to me, but when he tried to rape my cat he got his todger ripped to pieces...

I sold the story to the Daily Star

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    Has anyone looked at the Daily Mail online recently?

The standard of journalism has been utter crap for a long time now, with copy and paste of american news complete with spelling and grammar errors in abundance, photos with the wrong captions, but now it is riddled with pop up and drop down advertising, videos constantly playing all over the place and as you get further down the main page and click on an article you want to read, when you return the the main page it jumps up and down reloading all over the shop, which drives me insane. The more you try and control it the worse it gets so I quickly give up.

If any of the royals passes wind there are endless articles about that and the paper's total obsession with "celebrity" is also very tiresome now. I really don't want to know about some overpaid talentless bimbo "flaunting her enviable figure" in a skimpy bikini on some beach which I don't care where in the world it is.

I look at online papers to waste time while I slowly wake up in the morning more than any desire to catch up with any "news". After reading it I am no wiser to be honest.
    Can't say I read the Daily Mail but the Guardian has been turning into a parody of itself in the last few years, going down the same clickbait route as the Mail only from the opposite direction ... these are all real headlines:

These ones aren't but they might as well be: http://junkee.com/these-spectacular-...walkleys/55962

I'm Paul.

If you haven’t read The Onion some my appreciate it. https://www.theonion.com/

Probably the case that the news there is not only more interesting but also more true than that you will see on the “proper” news sites.
    ~Paul~

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I bet the US military continued with ludricrous projects long after WW2, and probably still do. Puts me in mind of one of my favourite films, "Jacob's Ladder". I've no doubt there could be an element of truth in that.
    Oh yes, and it still continues! It’s been 15 years maybe, but some congressman had given someone over $100 million dollars to build a time machine! Not all at once mind you, but over a period of 5 years. His defense was that he wasn’t a scientist, he didn’t know time travel was impossible. I heard a similar story about a man who claimed he knew the secret to anti-gravity, and he was granted tons of money to conduct his research, with no oversight what so ever. After many years, he had nothing to show.

And also you should see the movie, “The man who stared at goats”, a partly true story of the government spending big bucks on mental telepathy as a weapon. A whole division of psychic soldiers who indulged in the “hippie”, lifestyle. I’m sure I could go on and on, like when the government bought up all the LSD to keep the Russians from getting any, and then overdosed unsuspecting soldiers and civilians trying to brain wash and hypnotize people. They were careless with it and it wound up leaking into the public domain, and started the entire world wide LSD craze. In 10 years we’ll hear about all the crazy stuff they are doing right now!

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast