+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radford STA15 with Big Tannoys

I'm Clive.

Its now with David at AD Audio for a service and some updating, such as new valve runners, speaker cable sockets and some input attenuation. Even in its present state I miss it already and looking forward to its return all singing and all dancing.

I'm David.

I tried it before any servicing or updating with my big Tannoy Canterburys and it sounds pretty decent! Amazing that a 50 year old amp is still going strong. It seems to have had one service and main power supply cp replaced at around 30 years ago otherwise it looks like it's original and untouched. It'll be ready for another 50 years' service after the servicing and upgrades we're doing!
    David

I'm David.

Here's a few photos of the finished amp. The chrome valve runners from Will at Radford Revival really complete the upgrades to the amp and come with new valve and input sockets.

The work done to the amp was the following:
    -replace all electrolytic capacitors
    -change cathode bypass capacitors to Elna Cerafine
    -swap coupling capacitors for Mundorf ZNs
    -change speaker binding posts for Audio Note silver plated
    -add 20db attenuation to the input

The goal was to replace worn components and use some better-performing modern equivalents in key places while retaining the voicing of the original design. The penultimate photo below shows the new chrome valve runners alongside the original electrolytics dated 1964 and 1965.

I soak tested the amp for two days in my workshop using a variety of music and as a friend who popped round remarked the amp is 'stupidly good' and sounds just so musical with everything from Bach choral works to jazz from France Musique.

I'm sure Clive will be along shortly with his impressions!
    David

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Lovely. I'd like one like that if I could afford it.

I'm Clive.

David has done a fantastic job, essentially keeping the sound character whilst solidifying the bottom end. Great workmanship and a nice bloke to deal with.
    I played it for several hours yesterday into the Monitor Reds and today have switched over to the Golds. It sounds great with both but also highlights the differences between them far more than I have heard before. To my mind its impossible to say which is best, you just have to choose which feature of the sound presentation is more important to you.
    Thanks David, I now have a long term solution to driving my Tannoys.

I'm Primoz.

Hello to all,

I’m looking to buy this Radford STA 25 Mk IV. My preamp is Croft Super Micro from year 1986, speakers are Tannoy Edinburgh HE and Autograph Mini. I don’t have a chance for demo listening to Radford.
    What do you think will this be good combination? Room is 45m2, I mostly listen to jazz and vocals. Please take a quick look at Radford, is it in original condition, no modifications?
    Thank you very much in advance for your help.
    Have a good day.
    Kindly Regards,
    Primoz Draksler from Ljubljana - Snia

I'm David.

I think the Radford will be great unless you like metal at stadium volume!
    David

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by AD Audio View Post
    Here's a few photos of the finished amp. The chrome valve runners from Will at Radford Revival really complete the upgrades to the amp and come with new valve and input sockets.

The work done to the amp was the following:
    -replace all electrolytic capacitors
    -change cathode bypass capacitors to Elna Cerafine
    -swap coupling capacitors for Mundorf ZNs
    -change speaker binding posts for Audio Note silver plated
    -add 20db attenuation to the input

The goal was to replace worn components and use some better-performing modern equivalents in key places while retaining the voicing of the original design. The penultimate photo below shows the new chrome valve runners alongside the original electrolytics dated 1964 and 1965.

I soak tested the amp for two days in my workshop using a variety of music and as a friend who popped round remarked the amp is 'stupidly good' and sounds just so musical with everything from Bach choral works to jazz from France Musique.

I'm sure Clive will be along shortly with his impressions!
    David

Wow! Lovely work. Wish my STA15/III looked as good as that.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12