+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A speaker project

I'm inactive.

Glueing it all together, after some shenanigans with a circular saw on the back lawn.

Dowel pegs for the ply joints and clamps for the rest:

I'm Martin.

That looks like you know what you are doing. You don't fancy knocking me up some Tannoy cabs do you?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inactive.

The interior seams were sealed with silicon and the T nuts retrieved from the old cabs.
    Despite the need to allow the silicon plenty of time to cure, curiosity got the better of me and had to give them a quick blast:

The only material I had to hand was MP3 from an old iPhone connected to my Quad 303 but I have to say that the result was actually pretty impressive; bass was more than sufficient on a track like 'Protection' from Massive Attack or Portishead's 'It Could be Sweet'. More impressive was the very open nature of the sound which was infinitely better than when they were in the stock cabinets, limited by the crossover filters.

This was yesterday and today I have been letting the boxes breathe while I rustle up some grilles. If I get time tomorrow I'll put them back together and take my RPi out to the garage for some more serious listening

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That looks like you know what you are doing. You don't fancy knocking me up some Tannoy cabs do you?
    Cheers for that ... as to the Tannoy cabs, everything's possible at a price but I tend to fuck up more than I get right so I wouldn't recommend it

I'm Geoff.

Not sure how those drivers might fare employed as full range units. Could work OK.

You've reminded me actually. I must set up my table saw for my own (next) speaker project.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Cheers for that ... as to the Tannoy cabs, everything's possible at a price but I tend to fuck up more than I get right so I wouldn't recommend it
    The cab in the picture above suggests otherwise to me.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not sure how those drivers might fare employed as full range units. Could work OK.
    Cheers Geoff - my main concern is whether they pose a threat to the Quad in terms of load (I am a numpty in case you hadn't guessed) If the drivers eventually pack in it will be a slight sadness but not something I would lose sleep over. The lack of a tweeter doesn't bother me that much given that I always found the stock DM-10 a little too bright and also in the meantime my age has pretty much put paid to my ability to actually hear upper frequency ranges - if they were there I wouldn't notice .....

I want to experiment a bit with stuffing the boxes - at the moment I have just recycled the foam from the originals so any suggestions will be most welcome. I might also see what effect introducing a port has, I have saved the old port tubes but not sure how effective/appropriate they would be given the significant reduction in volume.

I'm Martin.

The drivers will be breaking up after 3khz and won't do much after about 5Khz so unless your hearing is really bad you'll be missing a fair bit.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

You won't hurt the amp. They'll be an easy load for it.

If you put a port in, installing it in the base might be effective seeing as the boxes don't sit straight on the deck. Just put it towards the back so it doesn't foul the magnet.

As for wadding. Just experiment.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Is that cabinet open on the bottom?
    No

[QUOTE=RothwellAudio]This page suggests that these drivers are optimised for ported enclosures, and of course the original DM10 enclosures were ported:
    [QUOTE]

I know - I already cited the DM-10 promo blurb in post #4

= "According to B&W’s blurb about the Bass/Mid driver (officially a DW200/10) it was specifically designed to function in a ported enclosure - but what the hell, nothing ventured, etc, etc. "

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast