+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fidelity Research FR12

I'm Nat.

Default Fidelity Research FR12

I have been offered an early LP12 at a very good price and it has it's original arm the FR12 still in place.

I'm hoping AoS members are a little bit more grown up than some other hifi forums and can offer me some insight

on the FR12 instead of telling me how s*** the LP12 is and to burn it.

I think it is 12 grams mass so will it suit a Dynavector 20x2 L for instance which I already own.

Thank you for any help or info in advance.

I'm Geoff.

If the price is good, get it! You can sell it on easily if you don't like it.

It's worth trying the Dynavector and you won't harm anything doing so.

I'm Hugo.

Ignore anyone saying that the LP12 is s*** - it certainly has its characteristics and weaknesses but when set up properly is a properly musical thing. The key is the setup, and I wish that I'd understood that before selling mine, many years ago. The FR12 looks like a lovely arm and Phonomac of this parish is your man to service and adjust it to perfection (he did my FR-64S).

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Natara View Post
    I have been offered an early LP12 at a very good price and it has it's original arm the FR12 still in place.

I'm hoping AoS members are a little bit more grown up than some other hifi forums and can offer me some insight

on the FR12 instead of telling me how s*** the LP12 is and to burn it.

I think it is 12 grams mass so will it suit a Dynavector 20x2 L for instance which I already own.

Thank you for any help or info in advance.

Really Loved my LP12. Too many people knock the LP12 and have not had experience of a well set up or fettled one IMHO. As Hugo says, set up is key.
    Peter Swane at Cymbiosis is your man to set the LP12 to perform to it's potential.

Also when you say 'early' how early is the unit? Has the Cirkus bearing been fitted?

Angus (Phonemic) sure is the man to get your arm singing too.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Nat.

Thanks for the replies I am going to have a look and a listen to the deck next week. It is a 1978 model and has always had the FR12 and is completely original which is lovely apart from that I have lots of 45rpm LP's, 12"s and singles too many to keep messing about with that pully adapter thing so I will have to factor in a second hand psu with 45 and 33.

I'm Nat.

Some photos of the FR12
    [IMG]IMG_2155 copy by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141362658@N06/]

I'm Nat.

[IMG]IMG_2156 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141362658@N06/]

I'm Nat.

[IMG]IMG_2154 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141362658@N06/]

montesquieu Guest

The FR-12 is a static balance arm from the same era and of the same quality as the dynamic balance FR64 (though lower mass) and as such is a cracker of an arm though for some reason (original sales volume perhaps) much less known especially outside Japan.

I concur with Hugo, the best bet is to send it to Phonomac for service he did a lovely job on my Ikeda IT-345 and I also saw his work on the FR64S, top drawer. (He also serviced an AT-1503 MkI for me that is twice the arm it was before, the man is a magician).

BTW I'm also an ex-LP12 owner, can be a lovely deck, the lighter FR12 is certainly a better match for the LP12 than the FR64 would have been (the FR64S would be too heavy for the LP12 suspension though I have heard of people fitting them to Voyd decks with good results).

I'm Nat.

Thanks Tom,
    As soon as my pocket recovers and I have had my holidays I will definetly by in touch with Phonomac to give the FR12 the once over.
    I only bought this yesterday thanks Tom & Emma for the G&T and for being so welcoming. Tom had it connected to a beautiful Leak 20 a P10 an Ortofon SUT (I think) and some big Tannoys and played me some beautiful Reggae and so plied with drink and in those beautiful settings I didn't have much of a chance really..

Anyway we had to carry an LP12 across the main Eastbourne to London railway tracks down a country lane and into the back of my Golf I then drove up and down and around potholes through the country side from Burgess Hill to Brighton luckily only 15 mins.

After all that I got it home connected it up and it sounded great straight away.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast