+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Naim Listing One CD Player - Sign Of The Times ?

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Default Naim Listing One CD Player - Sign Of The Times ?

Just been looking at the products Naim is listing on their site

They are now only listing just one cd player, the one that sat at the bottom of their range, the CD5 SI

I guess that can only mean that they are about to release some new players or they are just not going to supply them anymore, I guess because a lot of people are now streaming everything

I think it's a shame if Naim are only going to supply one cd player as I think their players are pretty good. I own the CD5XS and a long time ago owned the CDX2, both of which are very good players
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Martin.

I'm surprised they are still offering any cd players. The world has moved on, possibly not for the better.

Only Naim CD I have heard is the one Alan Firebottle has, not sure which model that is. It's okay but not worth two grand or whatever it was they were asking for them when they were new.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah, basically it costs a LOT of money to design and build a *really* good CDP player, simply because they are such mechanical beasts. The engineering involved to properly address all the necessary issues is expensive, and the market for such today is simply no longer there, as you say with many folks now streaming music instead.

That's one of the reasons why it pays to go vintage with a CDP, and obtain what would've been a top player in its day, from one of the Japanese majors.

Quite simply because you're getting something that's been properly engineered, from an era when such was the norm, but much cheaper than originally would've been the case, after someone else has absorbed the initial costs - and which with a little attention, should you want to go there, could be updated and made into something special that will last a lifetime, likely outliving CD itself.

Naim CDPs (I've owned a few, including the top models) were always about getting the absolute most from the format, at a given price point, particularly in relation to optimising power supplies (a crucial and also expensive part of achieving high-quality CD replay) not simply churning out any old plastic DVD-ROM and nondescript DAC in a box, which is probably why they've all but given it up. Linn did it years ago.

Plus, the commercial reality is that there's more money to be made from charging someone £4k, or whatever, for a high-end network player, than there would be for supplying a high-end CDP at the same price, so being the good business people that they are, Naim have realigned their product range accordingly to reflect that situation.

I reckon that within the next 5 years no proper hi-fi manufacturer will be producing CD players, and both the players and CD itself, as a music format, will be dead as a dodo within the next 10 years. So if some of the dinosaurs here want access to new music in future, they better get with the times and start embracing streaming!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    if some of the dinosaurs here want access to new music in future, they better get with the times and start embracing streaming!

Marco.
    This dinosaur has near enough all the music he wants..................on CD. So I'll be sticking with that format as main source for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    This dinosaur has near enough all the music he wants..................on CD. So I'll be sticking with that format as main source for the foreseeable future.
    That's a key point, and fine, but not (like me) if you're constantly seeking out interesting and new types of music, which eventually will be download or Internet streaming only.

That, amigo, is the (digital) future. I think that vinyl will be around for a considerable time yet, so that's the format to embrace, to obtain some new music, if you have no love for computers.

Plus, I hope you've stockpiled a few transport mechs (and/or other key components), for your chosen CDP, as sooner or later you'll need them, when things wear out

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andy.

Like Geoff, I have no interest in streaming. Like Bev, I am sad to see only a budget Naim offering. Like Marco, I take pleasure in the fact there are high end vintage players out there that will sound better than the current budget Naim and also outlive me

Oh, and then there’s the gazillions of CDs out there selling at boot sales at 5 for a Pound!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I hope you've stockpiled a few transport mechs (and/or other key components), for your chosen CDP, as sooner or later you'll need them, when things wear out

Marco.
    Three CD players used as transports and one dedicated transport, two DACs, two jitter busters and a valve buffer are enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Like Geoff, I have no interest in streaming. Like Bev, I am sad to see only a budget Naim offering. Like Marco, I take pleasure in the fact there are high end vintage players out there that will sound better than the current budget Naim and also outlive me

Oh, and then there’s the gazillions of CDs out there selling at boot sales at 5 for a Pound!
    Indeed, Andy, but NOT of newly produced music... That's my point. Each to his or her own, but even though I've got enough music on CD to 'last me a lifetime' (around 3500 discs), it's all stuff I've heard before, and eventually that would bore me.

I dip into my collection now and then, and always enjoy playing old favourites, but I like to expand and evolve my musical tastes, not stagnate into a boring creature of habit, listening to the 'same old, same old', which is what happens when you don't explore anything new - and for that, quite simply, you need to embrace streaming.

At the very least, any *true* music lover should have access to playing music on their system, via something like Spotify or Tidal, and then (if necessary) buy some of it on vinyl or CD, or simply just enjoy streaming it that way, as the quality can be surprisingly good

In this day and age, with so many of the technological devices (TVs, media boxes, etc) we use connected to the Internet, there's no excuse not to explore the world of music streaming.

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Three CD players used as transports and one dedicated transport, two DACs, two jitter busters and a valve buffer are enough.
    Fair do's... At least you've thought about it and planned for the future

Marco.
    Main System

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'm reliably told that Naim separates have stagnated in sales in the UK at least and now, it's all the streaming gear that sells up and down the country by and large.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast