Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
FWIW, though, not only did I think the CD sounded best in those demos, I think I've only heard one streaming setup that really captivated me (ironically, given how this thread started - it was a Naim streamer.). Other than that, streaming always sounds technically very precise but very sterile and soulless. As someone once said to me about a certain item of hi-fi equipment which shall remain nameless - "It's like it takes the music and then magically manages to remove all the music from it".
Then you must not be doing it right, most likely in terms of using SMPS, on your computer-related gear, as opposed to the fully-regulated linear variety, which in my experience is what can give flie-based audio its "soulless" quality, and which I do agree is a problem until suitably rectified. You have to successfully combat the noise.

Since I removed all cheapo SMPS units from my streaming set up, and powered anything computer-related from a separate mains block, to the components making up my system, it simply sounds as 'musical' as the music itself allows!

It's also important to use a non-clinical sounding DAC, something with a bit of 'meat on the bone', to eliminate any likelihood of sterility. Also, always stream music direct from your own sources/hard-drives (using minimum FLAC-quality files), not from an external source, such as Spotify, or worse YouTube.

Do all that, and steamed music NEVER sounds soulless!

Dragging the thread back to its start, I'm gutted that the Naim CD-555 is no more. I always loved that thing - not only for the sound (I still maintain it's the best CD player I have heard to date) but mainly for the utterly delightful loading lid action!
Yeah, I completely agree... Crazily expensive, but undoubtedly state-of-the-art engineering in a player, and the pinnacle of how to extract music most accurately from the humble compact disc!

Marco.