+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good afternoon to all!

I'm Lawrence.

Default Good afternoon to all!

Greetings from London!

My name is Lawrence and I'm very pleased to be a new member of The Art of Sound.

I started out several years ago on HFWW but moved on to PFM.

I heard about the AoS some time ago when I purchased a pre-amp from Tom (montesquieu) and have been dropping in from time to time.

I've always been impressed by how well this site is run with the congenial atmosphere and intelligent, thoughtful and considerate posts.

I started off in hi-fi as a university student and was very fortunate that the first system I encountered was a friend's Oracle Delphi, Matisse Reference, Audio Research, Ensemble Reference PA1.

A visit to my nearest dealer followed and, luckily for me, his demo system was Audionote Ongaku and Snell A speakers, with I think a Voyd Reference front end.

My first set up (from Richer Sounds) - Kenwood Multiplayer, Rotel 810A, NAD speakers - was soon upgraded to Micromega Trio, Audio Innovations First Audio, Snell Es shortly after graduating. Only the Trio is still with me but I hope to get it down from the attic one day.

Now with a family and less time to myself, I find that there are fewer opportunities to listen to music and have ended up accumulating more gear rather than playing it - I hope that I am not becoming a collector.

I have a CD based system, but aspire to a computer audio set-up whenever I see how convenient they seem to be.

You might see me from time to time at one of the KJ West One evening events, but it seems that the recent ones have all coincided with parents' meetings or other school events.

So, I have been finding myself visiting the AoS more frequently and enjoying reading about everyone's hi-fi and music experiences and recommendations.

Wishing you all a very enjoyable weekend!

Lawrence

I'm Grant.

Default Good afternoon to all!

Welcome to the forum Lawrence. Hope you enjoy it...nice intro by way
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rob.

Hi Lawrence, welcome along. It looks as though you progressed quite quickly to a far better system than I managed muster in many years. If you are interested in streaming, as a start I bought a Google Chromecast which for £20 is stupidly good.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Lawrence.

Thank you Grant!

I'm very happy to be here, and already thinking about turning on the system tonight after everyone has gone to bed.

I hope that it still works...

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Hi Lawrence, welcome along. It looks as though you progressed quite quickly to a far better system than I managed muster in many years. If you are interested in streaming, as a start I bought a Google Chromecast which for £20 is stupidly good.
    Thank you Rob!

That sounds very interesting.

I shall go and have a look at half-time.

My hi-fi is nice, but my computers aren't. One is still running Windows XP and the 'new' one is still on Windows 7!

Small steps for me to start with.

I'm Martin.

Hi Lawrence, welcome to the forum.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Hello Martin!

Thank you very much for welcoming me.

You have nice speakers!

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Law View Post
    Thank you Rob!

That sounds very interesting.

I shall go and have a look at half-time.

My hi-fi is nice, but my computers aren't. One is still running Windows XP and the 'new' one is still on Windows 7!

Small steps for me to start with.
    I don't really know much about computers but my mate who knows nearly everything says that the worst thing he ever did was update from Windows 7 to 8 and then to the dreaded 10. He uninstalled everything and re-loaded Windows 7. He runs a Chromecast with no problems.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoff.

Hello Lawrence. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us what music you like and what equipment from your collection is in your current system.

As you've seen, this is a friendly place, so just get involved and join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS.

Nice previous systems, that Trio is worth lifting down, but I would not switch it on without using a variac, the capacitors in the PSU might go pop, if having to deal with a sudden in rush of power, after being unused for awhile. I have recent experience of this, in my case a small fire ensued. Once you get it running, find somewhere better to store it, roofspace not the best place to store electronics.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast