+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new turntable, Holbo air-bearing system.

I'm Timothy.

Default My new turntable, Holbo air-bearing system.

18406D2E-0636-4C42-B251-D4D4B7BF4C9D.jpg I just got this table on Wednesday evening late. Sorry for the stock image, best I could do for the moment. My work schedule is at my busiest time of year, figures, but I hope in the next week or so to get busy with placement and setup.

I only have a new Nagaoka MP-110 for it to start off with, and a Lehmann Decade phono stage coming soon. So, more to come, but I am excited to be back to an analog source, as it has been awhile! Thanks for letting me share!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Geoff.

Looks interesting Timothy. Tell us more when you can.

I'm Timothy.

Will do Geoff! Basically it has an air bearing for the main platter as well as the arm trolley, which is fed by a separate air pump. The arm is carbon fibre with litz wiring to fixed rca’s out back. It is a switch selectable two speed, belt driven platter. There are pots on the back to adjust speed. Fully adjustable spiked feet on bottom, which with the right thread could be changed out for something more compliant if one desired. Power supply is outboard as well, little 12 volt job.

It is all a fairly heavy unit for a not huge footprint, about 32 pounds or so. A couple reviews of it are available at the Polish-online mag, High Fidelity and a recent one at TNT-Audio. I believe I may be the first one in the US to have one, I bought it direct from the manufacture, was a great experience to deal with. Hopefully a US distributor will be on at some point.

More to come, but with my current work schedule it may be a few weeks before all is up and running. Looking forward to it though!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Geoff.

Hmm. An air bearing arm is not that rare, but a platter air bearing is. I wonder how is starts up without metal to metal contact? Even more interesting!

I'm Russell.

That is a beautiful and exciting turntable! Congratulations, I wish I could hear it! I bet it could support a very upscale cartridge, in fact the sky is the limit. And get the best from a modest cartridge. I am anxious to hear your listening impressions. In case it’s not showing, I’m jealous!

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Timothy.

Come on over Russel, Virginia isn’t too far from Indy! Yes, my Nagaoka will not show what this table is capable of, but a place to start for now.

Yes Geoff, I need to find out a little more about the main bearing, I too am curious. I do know that the air pump needs to be on prior to turning the main platter drive on.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by Frazeur1; 23-06-2018 at 23:20.

I'm Slav.

I'm Timothy.

Thanks for the links to the reviews my iPad wasn’t cooperating with me earlier!

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    Thanks for the links to the reviews my iPad wasn’t cooperating with me earlier!
    No worries , looks nice and well built turntable , MP110 should be a good to start with , happy listening

I'm Russell.

I read those reviews and it seems quite impressive. What you were saying about having the air pressure up before starting the motor makes sense, such a simple idea really.

I knew a man who owns a Sota vacuum table. It has an air pump that sucks rather than blows, and it too is quite impressive. If I ever get a better ‘table I would consider one. But anyway, he got some longer hoses, and put the already quiet air pump in the closet, poked some holes down at the baseboard and ran the air to the table some 12 feet away. With the closet door closed it was impossible to hear the motor running. He seems to think it was a real improvement. I don’t know what your pump is like, but just thought I’d pass on the idea.

And thank you for the invite to come and visit you and your stereo! Who knows? I may find myself up your way some day?

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast