+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 99p Garrarad 301/401 platter mat mod (or Pimping your Garrard for peanuts)

I'm John.

Default 99p Garrarad 301/401 platter mat mod (or Pimping your Garrard for peanuts)

After many many years of searching and experimenting with mats for my Garrard idler driven turntables I haphazardly come across a neat looking alternative that actually improves the sound of the deck (IMO).

I brought a normal non collectable Laserdisc from a charity shop a few years back for the Princely sum of 99p for the sole purpose of checking my tonearms anti skating force as it's a groove-less perfectly flat surface and offers no resistance on the stylus (not the perfect way but fairly accurate). Then I started to wonder if doing away with the mat and using the Laserdisc instead would garner any improvements, I have used plenty of rubber/cork/acrylic/etc mats over the past 40 years and to be truthful always went back to a medium thickness rubber mat so wasn't really expecting to be moved at the result of using a Laserdisc in such a way..........To say I was surprised would be an understatement, everything instantly sounds more 'alive' and dare I say more 'high-end' now without the brightness or loss of bass I was expecting through my fairly fussy high efficient speakers which will show up any deficiency in the front end.

If you do try this cheap upgrade and like the sound you will have to find a centre for the laserdisc, I used an old Ariston turntable centre but you can use any label size piece of thin metal/perspex.

I have found the easiest and cleanest way is to mount the Laserdisc on the platter, then place an Lp on top so you get the lazerdisc perfectly central, then carefully take the record off leaving the laserdisc in place, next spread a little glue on the centre and lower it onto the Laserdisc and apply a little weight until the glue cures.

This mod worked very well for me (aside from reflecting my dodgy choice of wallpaper) but if you try it don't agree you have only shelled out 99p and a few minutes of time.

Last edited by Lionheart; 23-06-2018 at 13:55.

+ Reply to Thread