+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Amplifiers! What do you have? What do you use?

I'm Steve.

y:/y6go äo.gllnnnynny
    DetHa. .

resultat är. Det var något !/Lao+languageyymyy..
    ! la nguage, Spoken languagek
    , y
    https://vill ha L.

The..n
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Dennis.

I've always been instinctually impressed with Krell amps, though not heard one, but an AVI salesman said that they had terrible Xover distortion, which seems unlikely.

I'm Charlie.

Main system
    TRON Meteor preamp and Voyager power amp (6W SET using EML 20B valve)

Study system
    Radford STA15/III in restoration by Graham Tricker
    Lentek integrated
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I've always been instinctually impressed with Krell amps, though not heard one, but an AVI salesman said that they had terrible Xover distortion, which seems unlikely.
    He sounds like he was a knowledgeable bloke.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Brook.

When i first started in this hobby I always had an extra amp or two but I found I was always swapping them in & out & not enjoying the system, so nowadays I stick to just the one. At the moment that is a Art Audio Quintet power amp, with Definitive Audio mods & converted to just triode mode, sounds fantastic to my ears & I certainly have no plans to change. I have also recently added a Consonance Basie pre amp to the mix, having sacrificed my beloved Art Audio Vinyl One Reference phono pre for the greater good; as expected I have lose some magic but have gained some dynamism & attack, which was a little lacking before.

I'm Geoff.

Right on the money there!

I'm Sandro.

Quote Originally Posted by George47 View Post
    Need to thin the collection out a bit:

Integrated:

Unison Research S6
    Allnic T2000 25th Anniversary

POwer Amplifiers

Wad Kit 6550
    Nuforce Ref 9
    Audionote Kit One
    Pass Labs XA30.8

Preamplifier

Nuforce
    Hattor Passive
    Townshend Allegri
    Pass Labs XP12
    Audionote M2
    Audionote M6

As you are a member of this forum I could dispose and recycle the Pass Labs XA30.8 free of charge and maybe even the XP12

Joke
    if you ever think about thinning out the X30 let me know please

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I hope that wasn't me... Classic Krells are overkill to be sure, and overkill power supplies and the cases to take them do cost a lot of money - and then you add import duty, distributor margins and so on. The whole point about most of them running a huge amount into Class A is to remove the crossover distortion at source and I do admit the early ones biased flat out so they run hot all the while do need attention every few years to prevent damage caused by dried out caps. later models from the mid 90's onwards have plateau biasing, so if used quietly, they won't be run so hard and will actually idle cool! The KSA 50S I sold to Macca had an excellent review in Stereophile and the distortion performance at all three bias levels was clearly laid out if you can read the graphs. My issue was that I couldn't have the thing free standing fully ventilated and half an hour on the mid bias level caused the case to get almost too hot to touch. I only did this two or three times (honest Macca)...

Early 90's word from the AVI DESIGNER - not his once vociferous mouthpiece and fellow director - is that in past decades, the matching of output transistors wasn't as good as it became in the 90's, so crossover distortion could rear it's ugly head if they were only lightly biased in some applications. In some designs it can still do so and a HFW review of a Quad 909 found a trace, which may not be there in current Artera versions (the 405 versions have a tiny bit too I gather until they thoroughly warm up and fully sweeten their tone). As of the mid 90's anyway, AVI's Martin G told me the transistors coming on-stream were so much better matched in general production, that crossover distortion wasn't really an issue any more if moderate biasing was used and his amp designs seemed to bear this out I remember. AVI amps had high damping factor, which could explain a little the sometimes tonally plain-jane sonics if inappropriately used I feel. Easily fine tuned out with cable matching I found, and having the power amps right next to the speakers as recommended.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dennis.

I assume that both Martin and Geoff are of the opinion that the Xover distortion on Krells is rather poor, and this, given the price level and build quality surprise me.

It was not you David it was in fact the vociferous mouthpiece and fellow director.

I'm Geoff.

I assume that both Martin and Geoff are of the opinion that the Xover distortion on Krells is rather poor
    No. I was implying the opposite. I don't know all Krell amplifier models, but if they are biased into Class A at all output levels there can be no crossover distortion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast