+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Amplifiers! What do you have? What do you use?

I'm Geoff.

Default Amplifiers! What do you have? What do you use?

I'm curious to know what amplifiers members use and own.

Some have straightforward choices, some have many amps, some have obscure combinations (me? ) So tell us.

Mine, in no particular order:

Technics SU-C04 a tiny integrated that sounds very nice indeed, similar to a Sugden A21. I've owned this longer than any other amp.

Promitheus TVC paired with a Quad 306. A combo that works brilliantly. Very nice.

SMSL Mini T amp. The size of a fag packet and sounds way better than you'd expect.

Cambridge Audio P80 from the mid seventies. Bit of a classic that has a modern sound. Good bit of kit, even if it is all DIN sockets.

VTL Deluxe valve pre-amp, driving a pair of Modern Tube Classics CT15 Class A EL34 monoblocks. Gorgeous sound, great with Tannoys.

JVC AX-A441 A rare Japanese integrated with very fine sound quality. Hefty beast!

Sugden Optima 80 integrated. A little known model. Sounds rather good driving the Tannoys.

MingDa MC-9 TVC driving a Monarchy Audio SM-70. Amazingly lucid combination. Pure Class A.

Also knocking about, a Little Bear passive pre-amp, an FX Audio 6J1 valve pre-amp that cost peanuts and sounds amazing.

I've had literally hundreds of amps, but have kept only those that sound good to me.

As you can see, I have too many, so no doubt there be a 'thin down' sooner or later!

I'm Grant.

so its you thats hogging all the amps

i use a pair of proart amps in monoblock configuration. also use active q acoustics. I have a backup proart and a japanese market pioneer amp that sounds very good too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Main rig:
    Herron VTSP-2 valve pre, Trigon TRE50M monoblocks.
    Spare: LA Audio A30 el84 valve integrated, Amptastic Mini-T

2nd system:
    Wadia 151 PowerDAC
    Spare: AMC 2100 (100wpc ss power amp)

I go through quite a lot of amps but I tend not to hang on to them once I've got something else I like. Onwards, ever onwards.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i use a pair of proart amps in monoblock configuration
    How long have you had those Grant? Seems ages.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Herron VTSP-2 valve pre, Trigon TRE50M monoblocks.
    Spare: LA Audio A30 el84 valve integrated
    I don't know anything about those.

I'm Timothy.

I use a LinnenberG Telemann DAC/Preamp into a pair of LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs for the main system. I also have my Naim Uniti all in one, and a couple of Croft Series 7 amplifiers.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    I use a LinnenberG Telemann DAC/Preamp into a pair of LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs for the main system
    Serious stuff. Never heard these.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    How long have you had those Grant? Seems ages.
    aye, few years now geoff. work well enough in my system, which is pretty simple on face of it but has a few odd connections. the yiang sheng dac in its pre configuration, aids volume control(saves altering 3 vcs) but both amps have a vc too. it also feeds the actives simultaneously as the pre has 2 outputs. the actives act as a sort of big tweeter, and also feed a sub to extend bass a little.
    Whole kit is run from a power inspired unit and the amps all switch on via a smart phone controlled switch
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Timothy.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Serious stuff. Never heard these.
    They are very good pieces of gear Geoff. Probably not too many have heard any of it, but here in the US, the distributor is doing a good job of getting them around to most of the shows and getting some good publicity on them. I tend to like things that are a bit different, as long as they sound good and are reliable!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Neil.

Default Amplifiers! What do you have? What do you use?

LFD PA2M (SE) - dual mono amplifier. Way more power and control than their stereo amps like the Zero.

Exposure IV - stereo unregulated with a massive frame transformer. This has an umbilical lead only, no RCA ins, so has to be partnered with the matching III preamp.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 22-06-2018 at 10:41.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast