+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Amplifiers! What do you have? What do you use?

Bigman80 Guest

Dibs on the Ming-Da.
    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm curious to know what amplifiers members use and own.

Some have straightforward choices, some have many amps, some have obscure combinations (me? ) So tell us.

Mine, in no particular order:

Technics SU-C04 a tiny integrated that sounds very nice indeed, similar to a Sugden A21. I've owned this longer than any other amp.

Promitheus TVC paired with a Quad 306. A combo that works brilliantly. Very nice.

SMSL Mini T amp. The size of a fag packet and sounds way better than you'd expect.

Cambridge Audio P80 from the mid seventies. Bit of a classic that has a modern sound. Good bit of kit, even if it is all DIN sockets.

VTL Deluxe valve pre-amp, driving a pair of Modern Tube Classics CT15 Class A EL34 monoblocks. Gorgeous sound, great with Tannoys.

JVC AX-A441 A rare Japanese integrated with very fine sound quality. Hefty beast!

Sugden Optima 80 integrated. A little known model. Sounds rather good driving the Tannoys.

MingDa MC-9 TVC driving a Monarchy Audio SM-70. Amazingly lucid combination. Pure Class A.

Also knocking about, a Little Bear passive pre-amp, an FX Audio 6J1 valve pre-amp that cost peanuts and sounds amazing.

I've had literally hundreds of amps, but have kept only those that sound good to me.

As you can see, I have too many, so no doubt there be a 'thin down' sooner or later!

Bigman80 Guest

Currently using a Xiang Sheng DAC as a pre into Firebottle Monoblocks.

Nelson Pass inspired DCB1 preamp being constructed.

No desire to change the amplification any time soon. They sound great with anything i connect to them.

I do plan on building a first watt amp of some description in the near future.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I too need a bit of thinning down with amps

Pre Amps

Glasshouse TVC
    P50sa
    Quad 34
    Quad 44

Power Amps

Bel Canto 845 Set 40 (37 watts of 845 SET valve loveliness ) Not your average Bel Canto, a handbuilt to order special.
    Nick Gorham Set 300b Monoblocks
    Quad 606
    Quad 303

Andy
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post

Power Amps

Bel Canto 845 Set 40 (37 watts of 845 SET valve loveliness ) Not your average Bel Canto, a handbuilt to order special.
    Nick Gorham Set 300b Monoblocks
    Quad 606
    Quad 303

Andy
    I've often wondered what a 606 (or 909) would sound like driving my Tannoys. I suspect it may work rather well.

I'm charles.

Yamaha Z9 - an AV amplifier that outperforms so many 2 channel amps. One off design by Yamaha which is unlike any before or after including the Z11. Extremely refined powerful and beautifully detailed sound. Absolutely no desire to 'upgrade'....

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Puresound 2a3 integrated which I've only recently got, changed from a Marantz pearl lite.
    In my AV system a Yamaha RXV1700.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've often wondered what a 606 (or 909) would sound like driving my Tannoys. I suspect it may work rather well.
    I don't use the 606 on Tannoy duties often (I tend to use the 845 Set as I have a very small intimate listening room so a few watts go a long long way) but when I have used it, it really is a nice combination.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    I don't use the 606 on Tannoy duties often (I tend to use the 845 Set as I have a very small intimate listening room so a few watts go a long long way) but when I have used it, it really is a nice combination.
    Interesting. I generally use valves or Class A transistor with Tannoys, but the little Quad 306 I have works nicely with them too.

I'm Dominic.

I'm currently on a pre/power combo of Rotel RA-03 pre and a Lyngdorf SDA-2175 power. I bought the Lyngdorf as a change more than an actual desire, even though I wasn't all that impressed with the Lyngdorf integrated amp when I had one, so given that experience I am still baffled why I bought the power amp version, except maybe the bargain price I paid. Even dafter, I didn't have a good pre to partner it with and as a stopgap I bought a chinese 6J1 valve pre and truly surprised how good it sounded with it's stock PSU. A beefier power supply brought even better sound, but having only one input and no remote means it is there to play with once in a while.

But isn't it just typical that when you are potless, some beautiful kit runs through ebay selling for silly low money, but when you have the loot and on the hunt, there is nothing nice being listed at all, or the prices rocket upwards. Typical. In the end I bought the Rotel pre for no other reasons than it was matt silver to match the Lyngdorf and had the compulsory remote control which I must have. Holy crap this Rotel pre is much better than I had anticipated and pairs really well with the Lyngdorf, although the hifi snobs may look down on it because of the name. Feck 'em
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Ben.

I only have the 1 main system and that's powered by a Jungson JA-88(09) SE bought from this very forum. Lovely sounding bit of kit but it is bloody huge.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast