+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Amplifiers! What do you have? What do you use?

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Interesting. I generally use valves or Class A transistor with Tannoys, but the little Quad 306 I have works nicely with them too.
    Geoff, I used to use a little 306 with them occaionally too. Its a remarkably capable little amplifier the 306 and the 606 is similar but much more of it which you would expect as the amp topography is very similar.

I ran a little Decware flea power EL84 valve amp (1.8watts) with my Tannoys for years, I loved it although the bass left a bit to be desired the mids and higher frequencies were to die for.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    I ran a little Decware flea power EL84 valve amp (1.8watts) with my Tannoys for years, I loved it although the bass left a bit to be desired the mids and higher frequencies were to die for.
    I did something similar with a Chinese 'Raphaelite' 6V6 amp (beautifully made little thing). Top end was gorgeous, but again the LF lacked grip. 4 watts was pushing it a bit.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    Holy crap this Rotel pre is much better than I had anticipated and pairs really well with the Lyngdorf, although the hifi snobs may look down on it because of the name. Feck 'em
    I like Rotel amps. Many have been very good.

The little budget RA-820 is an old favourite. It sounds way, way better than any bargain basement amp should!

I'm Dan.

Here Goes

Luxman SQ 507X - Superb - but away for repair
    Musical Fidelity E100 - In main system for the last 7 years
    Quad 33 , 34 , 303 - My first vintage buy 7 years ago the 34 came along earlier this year and is fab
    Yamaha CR 1000 - Beautiful ,
    Yamaha CR 820 , Classic Design , Classic Yamaha Sound
    Sugden A28 MKII - Fantastic Sound , Classic british design
    Pioneer A300R Precision - Always wanted one fab sound , budget High end
    Sony TA 88 , STR 6046 , Classic era sony Kit , Nice sounding units
    Technics 909U & 909S Pre and Power Amps - Back in main system last couple of weeks hard to beat 85 watts Per channel
    Sony LA Scalal TA S1 - In active use with the SA S1's & 9700 - Stonking bits of kit high end Sony ,
    Armstrong 626 - Beautiful Sound , Collectors item - rare ,
    Pioneer A300X - My first Amp many years ago still use today much underated tons of power drives most speakers
    Denon PMA 350SE - Lovely thing powerful superb sound - Missed my old one so bought another what this amplifier can do with Tannoy's is unreal i love it now i got the phono stage excellent budget amp hard to beat for £50
    Linn LK85 - Superb Power Amplifier 65 watts - will drive anything best paired with Linn Tuken but work well with Mission and Tannoy....

That is it i think...
    Receiver
    1980 Yamaha CR 2020
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Rogers LS7

Secondary
    Sony HCD SD1
    Radioshack Phono Preamp with Thorens TD 125 MK1 Turntable , SME 3009 SII Non Improved , Shure V15 II
    Mordaunt Short MS 10
    Sony SA CS1 Subwoofer

I'm Alan.

Strait wire with gain, a la Peter Walker.

Oh hang on that's not strictly true, there is a valve in the middle.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Denon PMA 350SE - Lovely thing powerful superb sound - Missed my old one so bought another what this amplifier can do with Tannoy's is unreal i love it now i got the phono stage excellent budget amp hard to beat for £50
    I agree. Everybody should have one of these. If only as a back-up. For under £100, what they can do has to be heard. This amp will work well in just about ANY system and sound great doing so!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I did something similar with a Chinese 'Raphaelite' 6V6 amp (beautifully made little thing). Top end was gorgeous, but again the LF lacked grip. 4 watts was pushing it a bit.

raphaelite is a nice thing.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jon.

Newest: Yamaha AS2100 in black: limpid, lucid and luminescent.

Oldest: MF A1001 (aka 'the beast'): heavily modified by John Sampson of JS Audio (higher quality/spec output transistors, caps and custom wound transformers, amongst other changes) - more grunt than a Tamworth Saddleback hog on steroids.

Jon 😁

I'm Gary.

Custom job Longdog 300B SET power amp, with KR Audio 300Bs and Tung Sol NOS signal valves.
    Densen DM-20 Pre.

office system:
    Acoustic Energy Aego M active system, feeding the Transporter and Young Dac.

Long term might upgrade the Densen to a PS Audio BHK pre to match my dac, but a happy for now.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 22-06-2018 at 18:30.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm jamie.

john wood kt88,my leap of faith into valve amps which bettered my expectations by a country mile!

My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast