+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NAD, a thing of the past?

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Nice! I’d like to have a listen! I may have to look up the local distributor.

Russell
    They are thin on the ground now. Although still listed as current on NAD's site, they only seem to be selling them from dealers based in the far east. I got mine as a final item, when its gone, its gone, from a German dealer a couple of months back.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    They are thin on the ground now. Although still listed as current on NAD's site, they only seem to be selling them from dealers based in the far east. I got mine as a final item, when its gone, its gone, from a German dealer a couple of months back.
    That is a real shame. I suppose there’s a lot of competition at this price point?

Russell

I'm Ken.

They may be winding down before launching a new product, I've not heard anything yet.
    Primare just launched a new range and their old stuff is being heavily discounted by dealers to clear the stock, bargains to be had.

I'm Simon.

Just bought a C388. Initial impressions are very positive. Technically and aesthetically the new Classic range is a departure from what has gone before.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by simon g View Post
    Just bought a C388. Initial impressions are very positive. Technically and aesthetically the new Classic range is a departure from what has gone before.
    Hi Simon,
    Has your C388 got the Bluos module fitted? And are you utilising the onboard dac? Because it looks like a good way to reduce the box count.
    Yamaha NP-S303 / Audiolab 6000cdt
    NAD D1050 dac
    Creek Destiny 2
    PMC DB1 Gold / KEF LS50

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Mac View Post
    Hi Simon,
    Has your C388 got the Bluos module fitted? And are you utilising the onboard dac? Because it looks like a good way to reduce the box count.
    Hi Justin,

No, I don't have the MDC BluOs module. I already have a Bluesound Vault. I'm feeding the optical out from that in to the NAD. Indeed, as I type, I'm listening to Chick Corea's 'Chinese Butterfly' streamed via the BS from Tidal. Steve Gadd's drumming has a really nice snap to it. Overall, an impressive performance from the NAD. It's a remarkably transparent amp, with a precise, defined sound. Not sterile but certainly not all warm and cuddly. Is the NAD as 'good' as my Perreaux DP32/100p? No, it's not, but it's not far off and the Perreaux duo is over £4,500!

I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks, but this could well be a long term keeper. I mostly listen via Tidal these days and I'm considering going Roon. The MDC module is a Roon end point, so if I I bought a module then the NAD would be a superb one box solution.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Are NAD fast becoming a thing of the past? I have always loved their stuff though I notice that not much is written about their kit with the exception of their high end gear. Discuss.
    Steve, here in North America NAD seem to be going strong. Very popular. A lot of retailers carry them, and they are prominent as one of their core "bread and butter" lines. No sign of decline here. Perhaps it's a matter of marketing and distribution in the various countries? NAD is now a Canadian company, so proximity to local retailers and the large US market may be their focus now. They are well-regarded in the N-A audio press as well, right from their entry-level digital amps to their higher end stuff. As for design, their little 3020 digital integrated is a pretty cool looking unit -- not stodgy by any means. And, as others have noted, their Bluesound units are getting a lot of attention, for good reason.

Regards,
    Svend

I'm Michael.

Used Nad making a fortune on eBay I say a 3020 amp go for £80

I'm Michael.

Saw a C520 CD player go for £70 !!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12