+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How best to connect my sub to amp?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Point 1. Sub 1 or 2 will work, so the answers yes.

Point 2. Some amplifiers have pre outs to feed a seperate power amp. The internal power amp is still connected. That is what's suggested in the second diagram. On the NAD there is a jumper that feeds the pre amp to the internal power amp but by using this you disconnect the power amp therefore the main speakers.

Hope that makes sense.

Gary
    Yup. That's my take too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I agree with Gary, you can use just one lead to either the left or right on the sub. I've done that in the past and that works fine. Leads tend to come in pairs though.

You can't use the pre out.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm nigel.

Remember......you should not be able to hear the sub....at all.
    To little output is MUCH better than too much.

If its up too high, it will impress at first, but trust me, after a while you will notice the bass dragging the impact and speed of replay back.

Get a friend to sit in your hotseat and listen while you twiddle (ooh err missus etc), your back will thank you.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I agree with Gary, you can use just one lead to either the left or right on the sub. I've done that in the past and that works fine. Leads tend to come in pairs though.

You can't use the pre out.
    Sub leads come as singles ( no difference in construction to normal RCA's though) and are generally longer than normal RCA's to let you place the sub where you want. To a degree you can place the sub anywhere to suit your setup.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    Remember......you should not be able to hear the sub....at all.
    To little output is MUCH better than too much.

If its up too high, it will impress at first, but trust me, after a while you will notice the bass dragging the impact and speed of replay back.

Get a friend to sit in your hotseat and listen while you twiddle (ooh err missus etc), your back will thank you.
    Yeah I don't need/want the sub up high. It'll hopefully just be a little extra meat to compliment the brightness of the 902i's. Thanks for the advice.

I'm Andy.

Point 1. Sub 1 or 2 will work, so the answers yes.

Point 2. Some amplifiers have pre outs to feed a seperate power amp. The internal power amp is still connected. That is what's suggested in the second diagram. On the NAD there is a jumper that feeds the pre amp to the internal power amp but by using this you disconnect the power amp therefore the main speakers.

Hope that makes sense.

Gary
    Yeah it makes sense, cheers. I knew that the NAD came with external jumpers connecting the pre-out to the main-in, whereby removing them cuts sound output to the speakers. That's why I was confused by the connection guide in the sub's manual — I didn't think it would work that way.

I'm Alex.

Is ther a filter on your amplifier's sub-out. If not, your main speakers will be running full range, so you will need to adjust the crossover point on your sub and match level so that the bass is not overwhelming the sound from your speakers

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by maxrob200 View Post
    Is ther a filter on your amplifier's sub-out. If not, your main speakers will be running full range, so you will need to adjust the crossover point on your sub and match level so that the bass is not overwhelming the sound from your speakers
    The speakers are rated to 55hz and the sub 34hz with crossover controls from 50hz to 150hz, so I set the controls to 55hz, right? This instructs the sub to only play bass sound that my speakers are unable to reproduce?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by ciderman9000000 View Post
    The speakers are rated to 55hz and the sub 34hz with crossover controls from 50hz to 150hz, so I set the controls to 55hz, right? This instructs the sub to only play bass sound that my speakers are unable to reproduce?
    It's a starting point, you have to use your ears. Try setting the sub to 55hz and turn the sub volume till its intrusive, then back off the volume slowly till the sub disappears. The speakers may not output to 55hz tho so you may have to play with that setting.

As has been said before its time consuming but worth getting it right

Gary

I'm Geoff.

It's a starting point, you have to use your ears. Try setting the sub to 55hz and turn the sub volume till its intrusive, then back off the volume slowly till the sub disappears. The speakers may not output to 55hz tho so you may have to play with that setting.

As has been said before its time consuming but worth getting it right

Gary
    That's right. Basically, disregard the figures and listen to what the speakers and sub are doing. It will become evident what settings work best.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast