+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: A pair of Tannoy Cheviots

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Nice. You should like those Don. They have a driver closely related to the ones in my Cheviot Mk.II speakers. If they sound anywhere near as good they'll be superb.

Oh. And the guy in Bell Street was Denys Trickett. I knew him well.

Wow - a name from the past! Did various work for me and got a few bits from him as well. Was over here a few times helping me out setting things up. Always generous with his time. I think he must have passed on by now as he was quite elderly when I knew him (early 90s). There was a guy who worked with him (from the carribean?) - I wonder where he ended up.

Nice find Don. What amp you gonna drive your new Tannoys with? If you up for it, lets have a Tannoy and amp back-off one day.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Don.

Edward, that could be possibility...

I'm spoilt for choice, but right now just running a simple S100 Omniphonics Research amplifier re-capped etc (Paul Hynes) + Unknown Valve pre (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-Design-Studio) with new NOS Valves (Give my Epoch Elite a run for it's money)..and Rotel 855 Lamp'd by Alan Ballagh (http://theartofsound.net/forum/member.php?871-Dawg)(Top Bloke..wil convert your Rotel 855/955 CD player from Christianity to Oblivion!!) I've got an Art Audio Quintet waiting to be Triode up North...Croft 4s on the boil..and a Tannoy SR 840 on the back burner..(actually was speaking to the designer of the 840 this evening)....and a bucket load of Refurbed Lencos that are not moving at the mo...what weapons can you bring to the table Sire?
    Last edited by donmarrese; 22-06-2018 at 21:35. Reason: addition blurb

I'm Geoff.

If you ever get the opportunity, try one of these. Bloody remarkable sounding amp!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by donmarrese View Post
    No worries about crashing...

On that note I can close this thread as I have picked up (today) a pair of Super Gold Monitors sgm 12x that don't need refoaming... so thank you for your offer Jeff but I'll decline on this occasion! If anyone has any background knowledge/experience on these.. I'd like to know... this discussion might have to be moved to another forum.....
    I'll keep an eye out for that post - interested to see what you got

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by donmarrese View Post
    Edward, that could be possibility...

I'm spoilt for choice, but right now just running a simple S100 Omniphonics Research amplifier re-capped etc (Paul Hynes) + Unknown Valve pre (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-Design-Studio) with new NOS Valves (Give my Epoch Elite a run for it's money)..and Rotel 855 Lamp'd by Alan Ballagh (http://theartofsound.net/forum/member.php?871-Dawg)(Top Bloke..wil convert your Rotel 855/955 CD player from Christianity to Oblivion!!) I've got an Art Audio Quintet waiting to be Triode up North...Croft 4s on the boil..and a Tannoy SR 840 on the back burner..(actually was speaking to the designer of the 840 this evening)....and a bucket load of Refurbed Lencos that are not moving at the mo...what weapons can you bring to the table Sire?
    Woo. Lots of weapons you have Don. The Tannoy amp looks the biz.

From my side we could shoot the Tannoy Eatons or Kudos with either the Radford STS25 or a Sugden Masterclass or one-off KT88 amp (triode or Pentode modes). Choice of Preamps. Currently the Radford is out on loan and the Sugden with Sugdens being upgraded. Sugden will be back soonish.

We could have a riot.

Via Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Don.

[QUOTE=walpurgis;988843]If you ever get the opportunity, try one of these. Bloody remarkable sounding amp!

Geoff, I'm sure it's a blinder, but my school of thought is power power power...look at the power supply of my SR 840...(they actually demo'ed this amp driving a 110v drill from the speaker binding posts!) Tamed mosfet beast from the eighties!

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post

We could have a riot.

Via Tapatalk
    This could be the battle of the Muswell! (That's the area between Edward and me..)
    Got a couple of projects to clear up next month but August looks good......but I'll PM you to organise...
    ATB

I'm Don.

Sorry Frank, didn't acknowledge your post, but great to know there's a speaker pro in the Wirral...your services would probably be a darn sight cheaper than down south..!

I'm Geoff.

[QUOTE=donmarrese;988852]
    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    my school of thought is power power power...look at the power supply of my SR 840
    I've been down the 'overkill' huge MOSFET amp route. I actually find 25 watts of pure Class A works just fine with Tannoys. After all, the sensitivity is 93/94 db.

I had this New Audio Concepts 'Legend' P300 power amp for years.

I'm Don.

I stand corrected, but since I had direction from my hifi Guru's over the last 15 years, the general consensus is that power is not a bad thing......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast