+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rare Ortofon 'Exotica' carts

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by phonomac View Post
    The Vienna when last available new was 2600 Euros, comparable to the Windfeld. The re-tip with an FG-S equivalent to the Replicant 100 on the Windfeld really works well and has all the detail retrieval of the Windfeld with better dynamics.

Needless to say I don't have 2600 Euros invested in mine!

Angus
    You've invested smartly and clearly got yourself a corker there Angus !
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm James.

How does the Vienna compare to the Kontrapunkt b?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    How does the Vienna compare to the Kontrapunkt b?
    The Vienna has the same even handed balance throughout the frequencies but improves on detail, soundstage and excitement. The separation of instruments is better and so is the channel separation. Bass has more timbre and generally there's more impact. The Vienna is in the "elite" bracket whilst the Kb is for us mere mortals.

Whilst the Kb is no slouch, the Vienna is simply more "alive"

It does what the Kb does, only much better.

I'm Andrew.

I had the Rohman it's pants compared to the Black.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I had the Rohman it's pants compared to the Black.
    I wasn't overly impressed with it either. Tracked well and detailed enough (line contact I think) but without the excitement of an SPU.

I'm Robert.

And while were on the subject of the 'upper' so to speak Ortofon's, past and present.

I'd often heard about the Kontrapunkt B which seemed to be the popular seller, but I'd never heard much about the C and what that was/is like.

Then there's this Rohman ER Signature which wasnt cheap, cant find much, if anything really on that at all.

The Vienna I hadnt heard of until recently, I've come across a Valencia, not particularly expensive at around 850 euro https://www.roe-hifi.de/en/phono-acc...cartridge.html I'd never heard of it.

Moving to defo high end, The Xpression mc is very intriguing - has anyone ever heard one at £4K ?

Ortofon dont keep still and keep on serving up high end carts alongside the manufacturing of carts that cover a wide range, from modest to very high end.

Xpression, Ti Winfeld, Xpression, A95, Anna are what I'd call the BIG guns but this new serving is unbelievable even for Ortofon - I kind of respect the fact that they just keep on pushing the boundaries throughtout the range but particulary the higher end.

When you think they've really brought a big one, they surprise you again.

The MC Century looks something else, they have thrown everything they have at this.

Created to celebrate the companys 100th Anniversary, it was always going to be very special - I believe only 100 will be produced but cant be sure.

I'd imagine it is a true statement piece and for the fortunate few who'll be able to aford it, that'll be £8.5K sir

http://snvinyl.co.uk/Ortofon-Century...Coil-Cartridge

https://www.ortofon.com/mc-century-p-863

When my numbers come up, I'll mount one on the new Technics SL1000R / SP10R
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234