+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rare Ortofon 'Exotica' carts

I'm Dean.

Hi,

That is an interesting looking Orotofon. It looks like a cross between the MC30 Super MkII & a MC30 Supreme, with a better tip.

Dean

There are only two types of music. Music I own and music I don't.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The A95 will be my next cartridge IF a Vienna doesn't surface. A bold statement BUT the Kb is such a good cart that I have heard nothing that makes me feel like changing it. Except the Vienna. The trouble with the Vienna is, it was commissioned by William Thakker of Germanys Thakker store. He wanted a Kontrapunkt style of reproduction but better and ballsier. Due to the fact they were only available in Germany, there isn't a lot of them floating around. Unless someone decides they want a change and sells one, it's highly unlikely I'll ever get one.
    For a 'ballsier' sound compared to a KB, the upper echelons of Ortofon's SPU range would fit the bill! I would take the SPU Classic GM E MkII over a KB.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    For a 'ballsier' sound compared to a KB, the upper echelons of Ortofon's SPU range would fit the bill! I would take the SPU Classic GM E MkII over a KB.
    Maybe, but then it's off down the path of heavier arms etc. I'm very happy with my PMAT-1010.

I'm James.

I like the sound of the KB in the context of my system but I am sure there are other Ortofon cartridges that maybe better but they will all most certainly cost way more than the KB I purchased.

I'm Robert.

From the plenty I've read on the A95 it is a seriously stonking cart. All the quality, detail and refinement of the top Ortofons but dynamic and insightful with it to boot ...

Stereophile.com May 2015
    Reviewed by Michael Fremer

"...I directly compared the A90 with the A95, and while the A90 remains among the fastest, most neutral cartridges I’ve ever heard, the A95 produced wider dynamics—particularly in the bottom octaves—and a generally richer, more fully fleshed out sound. If the A90 literally brought the Windfeld out of its protective shell, the A95 is the A90 on testosterone...

The Ortofon MC A95 improves on the MC A90’s well-deserved reputation for being one of the world’s best-sounding phono cartridges."

Hi-Fi World September 2015
    Reviewed by Noel Keywood
    Noel Keywood hails Ortofon's new A95 state-of-the-art Moving Coil cartridge as one of the best he has ever heard:

"...Dry, fast, extremely detailed and almost concussive, the A95 is a highly tuned mechanical statement. It is not lush, warm or cuddly, but rather a machine of insight and deep analysis...
    ...Massively capable, the A95 is a cartridge that makes the LP sound better all-round than I have ever heard it. Almost frightening!"

Yeah, I'd have one without hesitation. Only gripe is nearly £4k is an awful lot of money that is not available
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Robert.

Come to think of it, I'm sure I've seen the A95 on a member's signature.

If my memory serves me correctly, I remember being a bit as in 'Blimey !! serious high end cart there !' envy envy when I saw it
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

montesquieu Guest

Bit left field perhaps and I haven't written it up yet, but I recently bought a Miyajima Takumi .. I'm a huge fan of Ortofon cartridges and I've had a bag load of different ones, from all sorts of SPUs (Royal N, Gold, Spirit, Silver Meister, SPU G and GE MkII #1, a few vintage sphericals and elipticals as well as several mono ones) as well as Jubilee, Rohman, MC30 and a few others I'm sure ... unashamedly SPU inspired, in this company, the Takumi well up there, comparable with my Royal N, and not a kick in the arse off my much more expensive Miyajima Madake. I would recommend a listen at that before forking out huge sums. I think it's a giant killer. Sorry for the stock pic but I need to write this up.

I'm Steve.

Error
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The only Ortofon "Eric Rohmann" cartridge I know of is this:

Not especially 'blingy', but would prefer it if the "Eric Rohmann" logo was replaced with a single vertical line for ease of cuing. I would probably be tempted to buy it if one came my way. Superb specification, with an unusually healthy output for an Ortofon MC; though one shouldn't read too much into the specification as it doesn't tell you how a cartridge sounds.
    Barry

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Bit left field perhaps and I haven't written it up yet, but I recently bought a Miyajima Takumi .. I'm a huge fan of Ortofon cartridges and I've had a bag load of different ones, from all sorts of SPUs (Royal N, Gold, Spirit, Silver Meister, SPU G and GE MkII #1, a few vintage sphericals and elipticals as well as several mono ones) as well as Jubilee, Rohman, MC30 and a few others I'm sure ... unashamedly SPU inspired, in this company, the Takumi well up there, comparable with my Royal N, and not a kick in the arse off my much more expensive Miyajima Madake. I would recommend a listen at that before forking out huge sums. I think it's a giant killer. Sorry for the stock pic but I need to write this up.

Miyajima have a new version of that cartridge in the wings - the Takumi L. The major difference is the line contact tip, to replaced the shanked elliptical of the regular Takumi. A bit off topic for an Ortofon thread, but as Tom says, a credible alternative.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast