+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare Ortofon 'Exotica' carts

I'm Robert.

Default Rare Ortofon 'Exotica' carts

I'd never heard of the Vienna until Angus - Phonomac bagged one and they are said to be a top notch cart.

I spotted this ORTOFON MC-ER ERIK ROHMANN SIGNATURE Moving Coil the other day https://www.ebay.com/itm/19255467327...m=192554673276

I'd never heard of it, anyone know of this rare cart ? It looks like a special / limited edition piece. Can only imagine it is a very decent cart ......
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    I'd never heard of the Vienna until Angus - Phonomac bagged one and they are said to be a top notch cart.

I spotted this ORTOFON MC-ER ERIK ROHMANN SIGNATURE Moving Coil the other day https://www.ebay.com/itm/19255467327...m=192554673276

I'd never heard of it, anyone know of this rare cart ? It looks like a special edition piece. Can only imagine it is a very decent cart ......
    There was a Rohmann cartridge writeup somewhere. I recall them saying it was excellent. I'll see if I can find it.

I'd like to hear one mind you, garish styling aside lol

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    There was a Rohmann cartridge writeup somewhere. I recall them saying it was excellent. I'll see if I can find it.

I'd like to hear one mind you, garish styling aside lol
    That would be great, not that I'm looking to get one, I'm very happy with the Cadenza B.

I do like reading about these nice Ortofon pieces though.

If I ever was fortunate enough, it would be the A95 next but thats a dream.

Yeah, this Rohmann Signature does look a tad blingy for Ortofon but I bet it would be great to hear in a decent system
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Bigman80 Guest

The A95 will be my next cartridge IF a Vienna doesn't surface. A bold statement BUT the Kb is such a good cart that I have heard nothing that makes me feel like changing it. Except the Vienna. The trouble with the Vienna is, it was commissioned by William Thakker of Germanys Thakker store. He wanted a Kontrapunkt style of reproduction but better and ballsier. Due to the fact they were only available in Germany, there isn't a lot of them floating around. Unless someone decides they want a change and sells one, it's highly unlikely I'll ever get one.
    That would be great, not that I'm looking to get one, I'm very happy with the Cadenza B.

Yeah, this Rohmann Signature does look a tad blingy for Ortofon but I bet it would be great to hear in a decent system

I'm James.

Rob, I recon your next upgrade ought to be the Ortofon Winfeld.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I spoke to Angus about the Winfield and his take was that on an overall performance, the retipped Vienna was better. Obviously, you'd need to hear it to see what he means but if the Winfield was better, Angus would have one.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I spoke to Angus about the Winfield and his take was that on an overall performance, the retipped Vienna was better. Obviously, you'd need to hear it to see what he means but if the Winfield was better, Angus would have one.
    I presume the Vienna is a tad cheaper too?

Bigman80 Guest

If you can find one, Jim.
    I presume the Vienna is a tad cheaper too?

I'm Robert.

Yep, have thought and looked into the windfeld a lot as my next realistic future upgrade so you never know. Re-tipped Vienna better ? no idea only ears would tell although Angus was / is referring to his retipped Vienna so his comments would have be based on what the retip involves and means with regard to stylus profile, cantilever etc etc etc

Either way I confidently suspect a Windfeld would not likely disappoint an Ortofon lover and is a genuine upgrade from the Cadenza B - I'd consider one in the future.

There's a user review here - 'Ortofon Cadenza Black to MC Per Winfeld' http://www.audioshark.org/turntable-...ield-6097.html
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

Bigman80 Guest

Yep, have thought and looked into the windfeld a lot as my next realistic future upgrade so you never know. Re-tipped Vienna better ? no idea only ears would tell although Angus was / is referring to his retipped Vienna so his comments would have be based on what the retip involves and means with regard to stylus profile, cantilever etc etc etc

Either way I confidently suspect a Windfeld would not likely disappoint an Ortofon lover and is a genuine upgrade from the Cadenza B - I'd consider one in the future.

There's a user review here - 'Ortofon Cadenza Black to MC Per Winfeld' http://www.audioshark.org/turntable-...ield-6097.html
    You're right, Rob. Only a personal audition could confirm that and yes the Vienna Angus has is retipped with the FG-S stylus (ortofon replicant stylus equivalent) and the original Vienna doesn't have this so yes, it is better than a standard Vienna.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast