+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about TIDAL

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    the latest version of Roon, also deals with Tidal's MQA (masters) so the compatible DAC isn't an issue In this case, I believe.
    Edward should be along shortly to clarify...
    I believe Roon (1.5?) only provides the first unfold (i.e. same as Bluesound via digital). You still need a compatible device for the full unfold.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by simon g View Post
    I believe Roon (1.5?) only provides the first unfold (i.e. same as Bluesound via digital). You still need a compatible device for the full unfold.
    Understood, although it sounds darn good to these ears.
    Begs the question how 'high res' does one want to go and is high res 'better' than Red book?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Neil.

Understood, although it sounds darn good to these ears.
    Begs the question how 'high res' does one want to go and is high res 'better' than Red book?
    I have a feeling that there is some good remastering going on with MQA releases.

Redbook *is* high res. It is concerning that the market is being lead to believe that 24/96 is better, or DSD, or MQA.

If you listened above 100db (Redbook is 96db dynamic range), and the mastering could take it, you might get a smidgen of benefit from 24/96, but you’d have hearing damage pretty quickly.

For the foreseeable future CD will be my preferred format, and don’t think anything is going to replace 16/44.1 soon, even if only for filesize reasons. Apple etc. like to save their bandwidth.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Edward.

Only the desktop application version of Tidal will do the first unfold of MQA. Unfortunately google cast (aka Chrome Cast) is not yet integrated in the Tidal application. So if you use a Chrome Browser to try cast to a device no MQA unfolding will occur and hence will default to the lower setting (i.e. HiFi).

Roon, as Adam mentioned, at its latest version (1.5) will do the first MQA unfold (to 88.8khz/24bit) and output in PCM to any dac capable of that resolution (or higher). I need to check if Roon can Chrome Cast but I don't think it can (suspect that Roon Labs won't be pleased with the latency).

My recommendation anyway is to get Roon (with Tidal enabled) and get a Roon endpoint (e.g. a NUC) so you have the best of all worlds (Master quality everywhere in your house, Tidal albums integrated with your own albums, remote control [from say your phone/tablet], deep metadata and much more besides.) The Roon digital transport mechanism is second to none (IMO). With MQA (1st unfold) enabled the sound has become even more supreme (but of course depends on the original recording).

Edward (aka Roon Fanboy)
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post

Edward (aka Roon Fanboy)
    You on commission Ed?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Edward.

You on commission Ed?
    Oh I wish.

Just had a look at the Tidal app available for my phone (an Android) and see Master MQA not available. I guess as a more powerful CPU is needed.

Via Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123