+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have streamers changed?

I'm Jerry.

Default Have streamers changed?

I have used a Squeezebox Touch for years, it's been totally reliable and connected to a decent DAC, capable of excellent SQ.
    I do wonder though, if the electronics within the Touch are dated and if a more up to date streamer would add to the party. I realise than the DAC is the most important part but I would like to know if you have experienced an improvement when you purchased a better streamer.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I still use my Touch and wouldn't part with it.

I'm Paul.

I think that newer streamers are not necessarily better, just that some have better user interfaces and are more flexible. Most newer streamers can access music stored on a computer or NAS drive without the need to run a server program. Also control and configuration can be via a smart phone or tablet. Also potentially easier to access music services and internet radio.

I noticed a difference in sound when I changed from using the bulit in streamer software on my NAS drive to a Raspberry Pi based streamer. Both into the same DAC using USB. So there could be a change in sound that you prefer more if you changed to a different streamer.

I know that streamers capable of 192 Khz, even 386 Khz and 32 bit are available, but 24bit/96Khz is still more than current and will remain so in real practical terms for many years.
    ~Paul~

I'm Jerry.

Thanks Paul,
    I thought as much-no point in changing the Touch then until it breaks!
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Geoff.

I had a Squeezebox and it was fine. However, it is not up to the sound quality of my Rpi/Digione.

The latter has a much much lower noise-floor and is capable of revealing much more detail in my flac files.

Geoff

I'm Gary.

Is it an SB Touch you have Geoff?

Had a few SB3's, a couple of Touches and finally a Transporter.
    Noticeable jumps in sound quality as you step up the range, the Touch sounded just great with the EDO usb patch.

With a Touch I think if you look at a good power supply and good cables you can relax and just enjoy the music.
    Sure, there's better out there, the Transporter over XLR is superb, but bang for buck the Touch is off the scale.

Don't have my Touch's any more, but you can prise my Transporter from my cold dead fingers.
    Old tech for sure, but attention paid where it counts means its still near the top of the tree imo within its limits of 24/96 playback.
    Took something a lot more expensive to better it, and have to admit, hires done right (DSD, MQA etc) does bring something better to the table, which the Transporter can't do.
    Miss the old school VU meters and track readout though!

I'd rest easy Jerry..
    The Squeezeboxes were way ahead of the game and other companies took forever to catch up.
    Touch + good dac + linear PSU + good cables is still very viable.

*EDIT*
    Tried the Rasp Pi route, a good one with latest Dac and linear PSU, tried various software flavours and tweaks...but didn't float my boat compared to what I had at the time.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Is it an SB Touch you have Geoff?

Had a few SB3's, a couple of Touches and finally a Transporter.
    Noticeable jumps in sound quality as you step up the range, the Touch sounded just great with the EDO usb patch.

With a Touch I think if you look at a good power supply and good cables you can relax and just enjoy the music.
    Sure, there's better out there, the Transporter over XLR is superb, but bang for buck the Touch is off the scale.

Don't have my Touch's any more, but you can prise my Transporter from my cold dead fingers.
    Old tech for sure, but attention paid where it counts means its still near the top of the tree imo within its limits of 24/96 playback.
    Took something a lot more expensive to better it, and have to admit, hires done right (DSD, MQA etc) does bring something better to the table, which the Transporter can't do.
    Miss the old school VU meters and track readout though!

I'd rest easy Jerry..
    The Squeezeboxes were way ahead of the game and other companies took forever to catch up.
    Touch + good dac + linear PSU + good cables is still very viable.

*EDIT*
    Tried the Rasp Pi route, a good one with latest Dac and linear PSU, tried various software flavours and tweaks...but didn't float my boat compared to what I had at the time.
    Had. Both a Touch and the original SB. I was very happy with them at the time, but IMHO they do not have the resolving power of some more recent designs. Can't speak for the Transformer.

Geoff

I'm Cor.

I’ve owned the Touch also, but I found the Squeezebox firmware a real pain in the *ss. Tried some other open source firmware but that didn’t work for me. I really liked the Squeezepad app by Stefan Hansel, but the Touch in combination with a NAS was a nerving solution (scanning, scanning, scanning and scanning for songs...). Finally, I decided to get rid of it when I discovered the Logitech Touch has a built in microphone. “Alexa, is NSA monitoring me?” **automatic shut off**

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Baffleport View Post
    I’ve owned the Touch also, but I found the Squeezebox firmware a real pain in the *ss. Tried some other open source firmware but that didn’t work for me. I really liked the Squeezepad app by Stefan Hansel, but the Touch in combination with a NAS was a nerving solution (scanning, scanning, scanning and scanning for songs...). Finally, I decided to get rid of it when I discovered the Logitech Touch has a built in microphone. “Alexa, is NSA monitoring me?” **automatic shut off**
    I agree about the user interface. Can't really compete with more recent offerings from Cambridge Audio and others.

Geoff

I'm Jerry.

Thanks for all the comments. Just as an aside, I had years of problems with the Touch connecting to a server in another room. I read a lot of comments about the crap modem/routers that ISP providers supply and eventually I got fed up and bought a Netgear modem/router for about £80. Massive improvement over the Talktalk fibre router, the connection is solid, if the Touch doesnt connect immediately it opens the network selection menu and I am up and running in a minute. Ditch those crappy routers folks.
    Jerry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast