+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wharfedale Denton Refurb

I'm Steve.

Default Wharfedale Denton Refurb

I've just posted a short video of my Wharfedale Denton upgrade.

Parts and advice from Falcon Acoustics. I used ClarityCaps to keep with the British vibe.

Cost me less than £100 including speakers!

Enjoy : https://youtu.be/HLpm-7brWJo
    Steve.

I'm Steve.

When I first got these speakers I sent some photos to Wharfedale asking if they had any information about their age and specs. They replied saying that there had been a fire some time
    ago and all of Wharfedales archives had been destroyed so unfortunately they couldn't give me any information. What a shame )-: That's probably why it's hard to find much information about them on the net.

There are lots of vintage Wharfedale speakers available for little money on eBay and with a little TLC they can brought up to spec quite easily. I only spent a little less than £100 including the parts (Falcon Acoustics UK) and speakers. I downloaded the BBC's white paper (Factors in the design of loudspeaker cabinets - BBC R&D ) on cabinet design and used the information to improve the internal cabinet damping. I really enjoyed fixing these up and it only took me a morning to do. What I was really shocked by was the great sound quality. I doubt I could find a better sounding new speaker for £100 as solidly built and with real wood veneer. I also feel like I've preserved a little piece of British audio history.
    Steve.

I'm Alan.

Good one Steve.

I'm Ken.

Nicely done!
    My first set of speakers were Wharfedale Glendale from the same period, which were also Infinite baffle.
    They were mid 70's Linton/Denton/Glendale and I think an even bigger one in the range, which the name eludes me.

Wharfedale did an 80th Anniversary edition of the Denton.

Yours look like the original Denton from around 1973, the Denton 2xp of 74/75 had an offset tweeter.
    Last edited by Qwin; 27-06-2018 at 09:12.

I'm Steve.

I spoke with Haden Boardman who told me that they were the mark one Dentons. He used to repair hifi and remembered that they never had as much bother with mark ones as the later Dentons. I've sanded them down and got most of the gunk off them then gave them a couple of coats of beeswax. They turned out quite nice.

I was looking at getting a pair of Lintons and having a go at refurbishing a them too. They go fairly cheap on eBay.
    Steve.

I'm Ken.

I bought my Glendales when I was a student, a friend bought the smaller Lintons at the same time.
    After they had both settled in, I actually preferred the sound of the Lintons.

+ Reply to Thread