+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me and DIY don't gel well, but giving it a go

I'm Dominic.

Default Me and DIY don't gel well, but giving it a go

I have a pair of Quadral Chromium Style 6 floorstanders which sound superb, but they are not very stable as the supplied plinth isn't any larger than the cabinet itself and there are no inserts in the plinth to fit any spikes either.

So, I was browsing ebay yesterday and saw a "stability kit" for the Style 8 model for two hundred and forty nine chuffing quid Four lengths of flat bar, a set of spikes and some bolts cost nowhere near that so I ordered these and a set of 6mm inserts and a tap set to put the spike threads into the bar, which in total cost twenty three quid including postage.

The aluminium bar will come in one long length which will be cut into four lengths of 250mm each, then drilling out 16 holes, then tap 8 of the holes to accept the spikes. I am OK with that, but having no drill press or a vice I am a bit concerned that my drilling stays true during this operation.

I am normally rubbish at DIY but knowing that I am saving £220 by having a go myself, at least I feel motivated enough to do it
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Paul.

The trick is to use a centrepunch, either an automatic one or a normal one with a pointed end. Mark using a retractable pencil and then use the punch to make a little depression before drilling. For accuracy I find it better to start the hole off with a 3mm drill, you dont have to go all the way through, just enough so that the larger bit sits central.

Also much better to use new, sharp, decent HSS bits and drill slow with constant pressure adding a few drops of oil now and again to cool and lubricate the bit.

Takes around 3 times longer this way, but the holes tend to be where you wany them.
    ~Paul~

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Good advice Paul.
    Barry

I'm Dominic.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    The trick is to use a centrepunch, either an automatic one or a normal one with a pointed end. Mark using a retractable pencil and then use the punch to make a little depression before drilling. For accuracy I find it better to start the hole off with a 3mm drill, you dont have to go all the way through, just enough so that the larger bit sits central.

Also much better to use new, sharp, decent HSS bits and drill slow with constant pressure adding a few drops of oil now and again to cool and lubricate the bit.

Takes around 3 times longer this way, but the holes tend to be where you wany them.
    Good tips Paul.

Recently bought a set of new HSS drills so have no worries with those. It is keeping the holes perpendicular that is my main concern and don't want the outriggers to look like a drinking giraffe when the spikes are fitted lol
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    Good tips Paul.

Recently bought a set of new HSS drills so have no worries with those. It is keeping the holes perpendicular that is my main concern and don't want the outriggers to look like a drinking giraffe when the spikes are fitted lol

I think your concerns won't be addressed by the above, there is no guarantee that you will have true drilling.

I don't have an answer without the correct tools, sorry there's no shortcut to accuracy.

Gary

I'm Paul.

I have one of these and they are really handy for drilling reasonably straight holes in lieu of a drill press.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfcraft-4...ds=Drill+guide
    ~Paul~

I'm inactive.

I have one of these and they are really handy for drilling reasonably straight holes in lieu of a drill press.

Looks a like a great little gizmo for the job...

To be honest, I didn't pay much more than that last year for a basic drill press with hand vice (about £20 from the same place) Works fine and has saved me a heap of wonky holes
    Will have a look at the make next time I'm out in the shed.

I'm Gary.

Perfect tool for the job

Gary

I'm Dominic.

Just bought one off ebay for the same price so that has allayed my fears of wonky holes now.

Paul, you are an absolute star
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201

I'm Geoff.

You could make one. Of course you'd need some means of accurately drilling holes vertically to achieve this though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast