+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Linear with the Caiman

I'm Rob.

"Today I 'arr been mostly turning things clockwise"

Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm David.

I know we have spoken on the phone before buddy.. But it would seem from that post we have actually met - it's that spot on... (maybe its just the overwhelming impression I give of not knowing anything... )
    I just said to Hannah " check me out, I just did somthing with electrical stuff and it hasn't broken anything yet..."
    She asked what I did... I said .. "well I turned a thing clockwise" ....
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

MartinT Guest

Leave it on max, you'll be fine. If you need a connector for it, cut off the DC cable from the cheapo Caiman PSU (the 12V one), strip the end and solder it into the PSU (positive to tip of the plug). You then have the other end to plug into the Caiman.

I'm David.

Done... And it works ... Well, the blue lights are on... I'm watching the Tele at the mo...
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Gary.

I'm curious now to try the Maplin Linear PSU with my modded dac - I have the Mutaras and maybe Im not getting the best out of them with the PSU I currently have?

I'm using the Maplin adjustable one previously recommended for the 7510 Dac, which Im running at 15V.

Do we Reckon the fact that the new one is Linear will be a big enough improvement over the switcher I'm running now? (Which runs 15V dead on)?
    Does the fact that I'm using a "foo" power cable (Krystal Kables Titan) with the PSU make a positive difference and hence I should keep what I've got?

Also....(cap in hand)...
    Does anyone have a spare 7520 psu kicking around I could use for the plug?

I dont want to cut off the plug from my own Maplins variable switcher, as I could pass it on to someone who could use it.

If you have PM me, sure I'll have an I/C or even a few CDs for your trouble.
    Thanks.

Gaz.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 28-06-2010 at 14:17.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Jim.

Gaz,

If you can wait a couple of weeks, I'm away from home at present, I have a spare 7520 PSU that you can have if no else has one available in the meantime.
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by trailer View Post
    Gaz,

If you can wait a couple of weeks, I'm away from home at present, I have a spare 7520 PSU that you can have if no else has one available in the meantime.

Hey, thanks for that!
    much obliged..

Gary.

AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Any thoughts on potential improvements on sound quality with Stans CBR Linear Vs my current Switcher (@15v with Foo mains lead)?

Go for it?

ta.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

You get a better signal to noise ratio, which brings out a bit more detail.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Does the Caiman use special power plugs or is it a version of the usual 5mm diameter DC plug?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast