+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Nelson Pass B1 preamp build

I'm Alan.

Ah I see, sorry miss read the thread
    excellent switches the Elma, I use them myself
    Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    Ah I see, sorry miss read the thread
    excellent switches the Elma, I use them myself
    Alan
    No worries!

I had one in the Slagle and it was quality so why go anywhere else!

I'm James.

If I'd kept it I'd have been keen to try upping the bias, but for that you'd want a bigger trafo and heatsinking. I'm pretty sure you have also got a bunch of audio note silver phono sockets on there as well, it's a nicely made bit of kit. And it never hummed at all so the trafo must be well enough shielded.
    Wish I could remember which chap sold it to me. Anyone recognise it?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    If I'd kept it I'd have been keen to try upping the bias, but for that you'd want a bigger trafo and heatsinking. I'm pretty sure you have also got a bunch of audio note silver phono sockets on there as well, it's a nicely made bit of kit. And it never hummed at all so the trafo must be well enough shielded.
    Wish I could remember which chap sold it to me. Anyone recognise it?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Gave it the once over today and there's a quite a lot of "build up" on the sockets and which looks like it's in the sheath of the wires too.There's also some on the RCA sockets. Nothing a good clean won't fix.

I decided to replace them and get some of the best quality copper wire known to man!!!

Upping the bias may be possible BUT as it will require a new TF I leave that for now.

I may end up having to remove the TF to fit everything in so if I do I will go bigger on the TF too.

I'm Neil.

Default Nelson Pass B1 preamp build

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Here's a quote from Nelson Pass himself, taken from his page about the B1:
    "The preamp typically draws fewer that 0.02 amps, so current is not much of an issue."
    That transformer will deliver 20mA easily. There's no need for anything bigger.
    This unit (DCB1) uses shunt regulators, so has much higher current draw. Some people set the bias really high, over an amp, and big heatsinks.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Bigman80 Guest

Here's a quote from Nelson Pass himself, taken from his page about the B1:
    "The preamp typically draws fewer that 0.02 amps, so current is not much of an issue."
    That transformer will deliver 20mA easily. There's no need for anything bigger.
    I read that too. Was just about to look into the merits of upping the bias. Won't bother

Bigman80 Guest

Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    This unit (DCB1) uses shunt regulators, so has much higher current draw. Some people set the bias really high, over an amp, and big heatsinks.

I'm Simon.

Me neither, but I'd design it so that it offered the ability to shunt as much as the rest of the circuit consumed.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Neil.

Shunt regulators? Does that mean they're like zeners?
    Personally, I wouldn't design something that had the regulators drawing more current than the amplifier does.
    Yep, similar, except an LED voltage reference is used in place of a zener.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Alan.

Default PFM B4

The PFM B4 is a good bootstrap buffer stage as well no gain though
    I replaced mine with 2 x Avondale Audio 821A boards (4x gain) and am very happy with it

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast