+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Nelson Pass B1 preamp build

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I’ve got great respect for DIY gear. I’ve been wanting to build my own stereo for years! I’m sure it sounds just that extra bit better when you build it yourself. Nice thread and a great project!

Russell
    better in most cases. Great thread BTW.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I’ve got great respect for DIY gear. I’ve been wanting to build my own stereo for years! I’m sure it sounds just that extra bit better when you build it yourself. Nice thread and a great project!

Russell
    +1 . Wish I had listened at school
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

Bigman80 Guest

Thanks Andrew!

Heres a pic of it now hum free (separation of the common earth on in and out puts has done the trick)

Wait, no it's back lol

I'm Brian.

Well done mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Geoff.

Glad you got it sorted Oliver. What's it sound like?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Glad you got it sorted Oliver. What's it sound like?
    Geoff, the hum returned when I screwed the lid on. Not as bad but it's there. More investigation to do.

Soundwise, i am finding it preferable to the Slagle. As good as the Slagle is, the bass control wasnt really what I was looking for. After having a listen to some very good Solid state stuff, I really wanted to try and improve the bass.

After doing some reading and chatting with Al, we thought about trying a buffer such as the DCB1 in the Slagle. The other issue I had was Volume. My Phonostage has high gain so I couldn't get the volume low enough for evening listening. I decided to just go for an all new (ideas) pre instead.

I was a little hesitant to sell the Slagle but it's the only way I could finance the DCB1.

First impressions are, it was a wise move. There are some caveats, the RG316 isn't a cable I'd pick to wire the DCB1 but I didn't have an alternative. I've found that although it's a very revealing cable, it's a little harsh and etchy. This is apparent in the listening.

Bass control has improved massively and has far more slam. It's no deeper, frequency wise but just under better control now. The soundstage is massive, as it was with the Slagle and in relation to the treble, I can't really tell at the minute because of the cable. Once I've swapped the RG316 for UP-OCC the characteristics will change again so I'm not listening too critically.

I don't feel like I've lost anything by taking the gamble. So that's good news. I also expect it to improve with the new wiring.

I'm Alan.

Great job BTW Jamie

This Rane article has some interesting reading on grounding schemes

http://www.rane.com/note151.html

Alan
    Last edited by 337alant; 08-07-2018 at 08:41.
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Deleted.

Oliver, I share your view regarding RG316 - bloody awful stuff for audio use.
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Oliver, I share your view regarding RG316 - bloody awful stuff for audio use.
    Seems very harsh to me. I like the insight it gives but I can get that with SPOTFIRE stuff.

Luckily, I have some of my cable of choice on the way. Cannot wait to get it done.

I'm Steve.

Hi Oliver

Ive been following this Thread with great interest, as you know I'm in the middle of a DC-B1 turbo build, not easy for me as i have no idea about electronics but I'm learning very quickly.
    Fortunately the board has the values of all the components. Iv tried where possible to order the best i can afford ie; vishay dale - Nichicon - Khozmo Series Attenuator Blah Blah Blah !!!
    Ive taken advice from yourself and Mr Firebottle ( thank you both ) and done a massive amount of research online.
    I will of course be needing a little more help to complete my project but have found working on my preamp very rewarding.
    Lets hope it sound as good as it looks.

I cant wait to get it hooked up to my new Firebottle mono's when Alan completes them.

Regards Steve
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast