+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Nelson Pass B1 preamp build

I'm Oliver.

All the parts are here!!!!

Time to start the assembly

In a mock layout, I have settled on this (picture)

Any suggestions?
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK5 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Firebottle modded Xiang Sheng DAC (Telefunken Valve)
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 & Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves) & Monarchy Audio SM-70 Class A Amplifier
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & NEW SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

I'm Alan.

Looks good, keeping all interconnects short

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Looks good, keeping all interconnects short
    Sweet,

How do I wire it all up between the board/attenuator/selector switch?
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK5 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 & Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves) & Monarchy Audio SM-70 Class A Amplifier
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & NEW SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable

I'm Alan.

Can't really tell you from that photograph.

I'm Oliver.

Any better?

I'm Alan.

From the back panel each input pair (L & R channel) go directly to the switch, lets say input 1 left channel to the first outer tag pin after the mounting bolt and right channel to the opposite tag, input 2 to the next pair of opposite tags and work you way round with all you inputs.
    The R & L switch outputs are the 2 inner tags, run wires from these to the R&L Inputs of the stepped attenuator .
    Join all of your input grounds together for each channel with a tinned wire, run a wire to your start earth point and back to the Stepped attenuator grounds

The L&R outputs from the attenuator go to the Pre amp input L&R

I use a start earth point at the output Grd of the power supply caps so you would need 2 grounds from there to the ground on the amp board input

The output from the amp board go to you RCA outs on the back pannel

Note make sure that bolt on the transformer does not touch the top pannel or ou will get a short on your transformer

Hope this helps

IMG_0089 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, SME 3009/2 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20 - Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Voyager Mono Block, Speakers Tannoy precision 6.4 / Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    From the back panel each input pair (L & R channel) go directly to the switch, lets say input 1 left channel to the first outer tag pin after the mounting bolt and right channel to the opposite tag, input 2 to the next pair of opposite tags and work you way round with all you inputs.
    The R & L switch outputs are the 2 inner tags, run wires from these to the R&L Inputs of the stepped attenuator .
    Join all of your input grounds together for each channel with a tinned wire, run a wire to your start earth point and back to the Stepped attenuator grounds

The L&R outputs from the attenuator go to the Pre amp input L&R

I use a start earth point at the output Grd of the power supply caps so you would need 2 grounds from there to the ground on the amp board input

The output from the amp board go to you RCA outs on the back pannel

Note make sure that bolt on the transformer does not touch the top pannel or ou will get a short on your transformer

Hope this helps

IMG_0089 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
    Hi Alan

Thanks for the information. I understand most of that better than expected lol.

One question,

How do I know what channel is what on the attenuator there are no markings at all!!!

I'm Oliver.

Oh!! It doesn't matter does it lol, as long as it's R in and R out to the R RCA it'll be right lol.

Can you tell I haven't done it before 🤣

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Oh!! It doesn't matter does it lol, as long as it's R in and R out to the R RCA it'll be right lol.

Can you tell I haven't done it before ��
    Oliver Yes you got it just keep you lefts and rights in phase all the way through the amp from input to output

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, SME 3009/2 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20 - Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Voyager Mono Block, Speakers Tannoy precision 6.4 / Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Oliver.

Thanks Alan,

I really appreciate your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    Oliver Yes you got it just keep you lefts and rights in phase all the way through the amp from input to output

Alan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast