+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nelson Pass B1 preamp build

Bigman80 Guest

Default Nelson Pass B1 preamp build

Hi all,

After missing out on a Nelson Pass B1 preamp recently, I decided I'd have a look at building one.

A quick chat with Alan alerted me to a B1 buffer being sold by Jazid (James) so I snapped it up.

I've decided to try and reuse the case it's all currently residing in and get a black perspex sheet to replace the Aluminium front.

I settled on an Elma 2 pole selector switch (same as in the Slagle I have just sold) which I felt was as good as it gets really for a selector switch and a Khozmo Stepped attenuator, which again is scant company at the top of the attenuation tree.

2 shaft extension bars will enable mounting of the switches to be as close to the outputs and input as possible so this should keep the signal path extremely short.

The hopes are that we can fit a 3 in 1 out configuration on the already slightly congested back panel. Luckily I have an expert to call on so that should be very beneficial.

Hookup wire is still to be decided but I'd like to try and use the same as the existing wire.

Any suggestions on what it is from the pictures?

Bigman80 Guest

I'm Deleted.

Yeah, the hookup wire is solid silver in Teflon from HiFi Collective.
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Yeah, the hookup wire is solid silver in Teflon from HiFi Collective.
    Cheers mate,. I'll order a bit.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post

I settled on an Elma 2 pole selector switch (same as in the Slagle I have just sold) which I felt was as good as it gets really for a selector switch and a Khozmo Stepped attenuator, which again is scant company at the top of the attenuation tree.
    If you wanted to go mad, get a 34 or 46 step Seiden attenuator and stuff it full of Charcroft Z-foils! I believe the Seiden attenuators are the best if there is no budget (I haven't seen anything better).

Here: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/cat...on-p-7254.html

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    If you wanted to go mad, get a 34 or 46 step Seiden attenuator and stuff it full of Charcroft Z-foils! I believe the Seiden attenuators are the best if there is no budget (I haven't seen anything better).

Here: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/cat...on-p-7254.html
    Hi Simon,

Ha! Yes I did see that yesterday but over £350 on a volume control is outrageous and unfortunately budget has come in to the equation!

I'm happy with the Khozmo

I'm Simon.

That's one of the reasons why I went with a standard Series attenuator (Acoustic Dimensions 41 step).

The other thing I did not like about the Shunt type is that if for some reason the contact fails or doesn't click into place right, the volume will not be attenuated at all so speakers will likely be blown (tweeter at least). I know the chances of it happening are very slim but contacts can get dirty after time.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    My opinion is that the current fad for so-called "shunt" stepped attenuators is based on a fallacy. Here's a quote from the HiFi Collective site:
    " ...we are proud to offer a version of the Glasshouse stepped attenuator range in SHUNT format...we are offering a choice of 7 resistor types, though bear in mind you can always buy the all important Series (load) resistors separately..."
    How is the series resistor any more of a load than the shunt resistor? Why would one be any more important than the other? Why doesn't it matter that the impedance seen by the source and the output impedance both vary other an extremely wide range?
    Absolutely none of it makes sense and makes me doubt the competence of those making and selling them.

My advice is to buy a conventionally configured stepped attenuator.
    Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the advice,

I have purchased a series type which I understood to be "conventional" ? If it's not then so be bit. I will admit to naivety in regards to how they differ and why one would be better than the other. The advice I was given is that Series presents a constant load.

Either way, it's all about how it sounds SO! how's about this.....

If someone sends me a "conventional" stepped attenuator, I'll do a comparison and write it up.

I'm Simon.

Yes, I believe a series type will appear as the same load towards the source, however it does vary it's output (a 10k based attenuator will be 2.5k at worst case (half volume on the dial).

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Hi Oliver

Yes, what I referred to as a conventional stepped attenuator is, I think, often referred to as a series attenuator. Yes, it presents pretty much a constant load to the source. That would be my choice.
    Ah, excellent! Looks like the advice was sound. As usual!

I looked at the Shunt type with ZFoil resistors but couldn't justify the spend.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast