+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On a whim

I'm Steve.

The bottom looks better than the top.

I'm Mike.

Well i picked it up from Grays yesterday, i was in London so killed two birds so to speak, anyway like i always do with second hand gear before plugging in and switching on i took the top off to see if everything was ok and to give it a clean, turns out the 2 big caps are blown i contacted the seller on ebay but his response was that sound comes out of it so he can't be held responsible.

As you can see from the photo the tops of the caps are domed, and you can't see it but they have leaked as well. So what do i do, scrap it or replace the caps?

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Geoff.

I'd do the caps.

I'm Mike.

if i'm going to do that Geoff, do you think it would be worth upgrading other components? i presume the 2 big ones that have blown are the smoothing caps so will have some affect on sound quality, but i'd like to know if there is anything else in the signal path worth upgrading, i don't want to go daft and spend a small fortune, maybe someone could make some suggestions?

I'm Geoff.

As the board has to be lifted, it may be an idea to replace all electrolytics and run a meter across other components. Give the controls a squirt of cleaner too.

I'm Grant.

Initially if there are no other looking odd I'd just do the big 2. Give the board a clean too Clean the pots. Then see how it is. I take it it's working
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

We are on the same wavelength Geoff, have you seen a parts list or upgrade list for this amp anywhere, i'd like to replace with at least the same but if possible better sounding components, which i know is very subjective

I'm Mike.

It powers up Grant, but as i've never heard a fresh one so to speak i have no gauge as to how it should sound

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    have you seen a parts list or upgrade list for this amp anywhere
    No, I haven't. A bit of Googling may come up with something.

I'm matt.

If you like I could pop the lid off my Quad 306 and see what Main smoothing caps Dada electronics supplied with their service kit. I remember looking up the specs and they had a very high ripple current rating, so ideal for amplifiers.

For smaller caps it would be best to look at a circuit diagram and see what they do. I've tried all sorts of audio grade caps over the years and they all seem to colour the sound in some way. The most neutral I've used for coupling are Nichicon fw - they are dirt cheap too
    Last edited by fatmarley; 23-06-2018 at 18:33.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast