+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On a whim

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Well i picked it up from Grays yesterday, i was in London so killed two birds so to speak, anyway like i always do with second hand gear before plugging in and switching on i took the top off to see if everything was ok and to give it a clean, turns out the 2 big caps are blown i contacted the seller on ebay but his response was that sound comes out of it so he can't be held responsible.

As you can see from the photo the tops of the caps are domed, and you can't see it but they have leaked as well. So what do i do, scrap it or replace the caps?
    A few of those small, brown electrolytic caps look a bit domed in the photo? It may be easy to replace them while you’re at it? If they are indeed domed, or measure funny. A nice little project, shouldn’t be too expensive.

Russell

I'm Mike.

My thinking is that if I have to take the PCB out then I may as well replace all the electrolytic as a matter of course, my problem is what make model caps do I replace them with

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Russell.

Perhaps find an amp you really like the sound of, and use whatever brand they are using? It’s really a win-win, I don’t see how you could mess it up.

Russell

I'm Mike.

Nichicon seem to be a safe be, as they add little colouration to the sound but extend bass and bass is probably the only thing this amp has been criticised for, which is understandable as it's been tweaked by Ken Ishiwata and the Japanese ear tends to favour less bass.

I'm matt.

Even though Nichicon Muse Is supposed to be their top audio grade cap, I found It had a bright and thin upper midrange. Elna Silmics are too soft and cuddly for my taste but YMMV.

For the feedback loop Im my Onix OA21 the best I've tried were the Vishay Sprague Tantalex 150D and coupling Nichicon FW.

Not sure If you missed my previous post but the offer still stands (It's only two screws to remove the case).

I'm Mike.

Thanks for the offer Matt, but 1st I’d like to get a circuit diagram for it, once I’ve got that I’ll give you a shout

I'm matt.

No problem.

I'm Mike.

Ok, so i've found a service manual online, i've checked the input boards, phono stage etc. and they seem fine, tbh i really don't want to screw about with the caps on the phono stage as it's meant to be pretty good, so i want to change the electrolytic caps on the output stage and could do with some help and advice, any offers?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I was never a fan of the KI stuff.
    The ki cd players I thought were excellent.

I'm Graham.

It's a very good amp provided the caps haven't aged, it's shiny because all of the sheet metal is copper plated to reduce RF interference.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast