+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amplifiers any good..?

I'm Shaun.

Default Amplifiers any good..?

OK you lot, have you any experience with this guy and his amplifiers..?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW...a046%7Ciid%3A1

His feedback as a seller is bloody good but £860 odd quid could be a bit of a risk. If you'd rather not post in public then please PM me.

Thanks in advance for any comments constructive or otherwise.

This would compliment my current power amp, it would not replace it.

I'm Geoff.

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall seeing these or very similar amps offered by a seller in eastern Europe.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    OK you lot, have you any experience with this guy and his amplifiers..?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW...a046%7Ciid%3A1

His feedback as a seller is bloody good but £860 odd quid could be a bit of a risk. If you'd rather not post in public then please PM me.

Thanks in advance for any comments constructive or otherwise.

This would compliment my current power amp, it would not replace it.
    Been intrigued myself but something doesn't feel right about him making money off a design he got for free and one that is often available as a kit.

I know not everyone has the knowledge to build the kit so he can charge a fee for his time and skills but I don't know what ratio of the fee is skill v cost.

Feedback is good, no reason to doubt the quality of his work.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Its a good price for something hand made, or assembled in the UK!
    A firiend of mine has recently purchased the parts to build his own version over the winter.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Edward.

I've seen his listing and his builds seem high class. I've also considered buying from him.

However for a custom build and in view of the relative high costs I personally would visit him, have a demo and generally discuss things before committing to buying. Actually seeing, hearing and discussing things will give you a much better feel for things.

Via Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Svend.

Shaun -- not at all related to your post: Nice camera in your avatar pic! Mamiya RZ or RB, is it? Still shooting film? Monochrome or colour?

Me: Avid B&W photographer here, hence spotting the camera immediately. All film, mostly 6x6 and 6x9, with a bit of 135 when travelling. Building up a darkroom again after 25 year absence. Wonderful creative hobby to balance the technical side of my life (career).

Curious to hear what you're into...

Best,
    Svend

I'm Phil.

yes i know someone who has bought from him and is very very enthusiastic about his products . i have considered myself his products , i don`t know how he does it for the price really . i can`t comment on the design but this chap is well pleased
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm openingabottleofwine.

There is no doubting the quality of the workmanship. I also wouldn't have any concerns about a third party copying a design that has been placed in the public domain.

But I suspect it is not a pure Class A design: the quoted specification quotes 60W into both 8Ohm and 4Ohms, whereas of course the power should double if the load impedance is halved. Apart from that, I regard £860 as being quite reasonable for a true dual-mono power amplifier; one which can accept a balanced-line input, and one built to such a high standard.
    Barry

I'm Keith.

It seems to me that the guy is selling mainly Nelson Pass First Watt designs. I doubt that he has Papa's permission to do so,

I'm Brook.

I don't see the issue with buying an amp made from a public domain design. I know someone who has the F5 version of this amp, & indeed I have heard it in my system, & very nice it is too. Workmanship is very good as is fit & finish. Needs about 20 mins before it gives its all, which is less than my valve amp needs. If I were not so dedicated to valves I would be happy to use one of these.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast