+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha studio amps, any opinions?

I'm Lawrence.

Default Yamaha studio amps, any opinions?

Rather taken with my 3 channel av amp used as a power amp, good clean sound, so have agreed to buy this one. Has anyone tried anything similar? My experience is that if you go for a good class AB amp then you can tune the system with a nice pre.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F352380484552

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have no knowledge of Yamaha amplifiers (professional or domestic), but I do use professional broadcast or studio equipment in my set up: Studer: EMT; Nagra and Quad.

I use Quad 510 monoblocks with my main system to very good effect (positioned directly behind each speaker and fed from the preamp via balanced-line interconnects), and a Quad 520 (a dual channel amplifier) with my second system.

It is a commonly held myth to regard professional equipment as being solely designed to be reliable, capable of withstanding rough handling but little else. They do all that, but many also offer an excellent performance in sound quality.
    Barry

montesquieu Guest

Looks interesting. Keen to hear how you get on.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Looks interesting. Keen to hear how you get on.
    +1
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adam.

I have a Yamaha PC-5002M and it's quite something. Even has two mains leads!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm gone.

I went through a Yamaha semi-pro amp phase a few years ago. Had quite a few models.

Loadsa power for not much dosh.
    Good rez (not exceptional), somewhat lean, forward sound lacking a little in bass weight if with good definition and slam.
    The ones I owned had fans which switched on when the amp started getting hot - I very seldom managed to get the fan on but I loaned someone one of them and I guess he must have been a bit of an animal (his speakers were of average efficiency like mine) as he said the fan was on a lot, and was just about audible with the music.
    Last edited by jandl100; 20-06-2018 at 20:42.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I went through a Yamaha semi-pro amp phase a few years ago. Had quite a few models.

Loadsa power for not much dosh.
    Good rez (not exceptional), somewhat lean, forward sound lacking a little in bass weight if with good definition and slam.
    The ones I owned had fans which switched on when the amp started getting hot - I very seldom managed to get the fan on but I loaned someone one of them and I guess he must have been a bit of an animal (his speakers were of average efficiency like mine) as he said the fan was on a lot, and was just about audible with the music.
    Sounds a bit like my experience with the 3 way AV amp, it can be tamed with a suitable pre though and makes a nice sound in a well matched system.

I'm Don.

Lawrence, I have an Amcron 300a I can lend you to try, it's for sale actually, it's a bit dead out there at the mo.. just serviced by Air Studios..classic studio amp from 70's n 80's, lots of power to drive difficult speakers

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by donmarrese; 23-06-2018 at 14:42.

I'm Dennis.

Highly regarded too.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by donmarrese View Post
    Lawrence, I have an Amcron 300a I can lend you to try, it's for sale actually, it's a bit dead out there at the mo.. just serviced by Air Studios..classic studio amp from 70's n 80's, lots of power to drive difficult speakers

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
    Interesting, is it listed?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast