+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Denon HA 500 Headamp

I'm Steve.

Default Denon HA 500 Headamp

Hi All

I recently purchased a Denon Headamp from Phonomac to replace my Schitt Mani, which when using it for mm was really very good indeed but I decided moving coil was the way to go so purchased an Audio Technica at33ptg. I had read a few reviews on this forum about the Denon and a few on other forums and made my decision to purchase one.

It arrived a week ago, build Quality is substantial, its quite large and very heavy and to my eyes looks very nice ! My opinion as the looks wont suit everyone !!

Inside you would think it was brand new, Phonomac has worked his magic on this as you will see from the photos below.

This is the work he did in his words:

The large green electrolytics around the front end are Nichicon Muse ES bi-polar caps, and the values of the input and stage coupling caps have been increased to HA-1000 standard or better. Denon used ordinary electrolytics for these, since good bi-polars weren’t available at the time. However ordinary electrolytics will be subjected to small reverse voltages – not good for distortion.

The green and red box capacitors are polypropylene film caps replacing mylar, and the yellow box caps are polycarbonate (ignore 100nH marking, the H is a manufacturer’s mark – it is in fact 100nF in value).

The black and gold caps in the power supply section are Panasonic FM, the best cap for power filtering/smoothing within their voltage range.

The difference in sound between the little Schitt and the Denon was dramatic. The Denon had so much detail, a beautiful clear midrange which really extended well into the lower mid, a real zing in the treble, not harsh but with plenty of bite and a tighter more controlled bass, the woolliness in the bass I had previously was gone ( Yeahh ). Now it’s as tight as a ducks arse!!

Am I happy ? Bloody right, my system is a modest one but I don’t think I will be changing things for a while. Famous last words

Steve...
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Robert.

Not surprised it's better and you're loving it Steve.

Angus (Phonomac) knows his stuf big time, very well qualified and many many years of experience too.

He also has a knack of knowing good gear and how to improve it, taking it from good / excellent - very good / excellent plus and some
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Steve.

Hi Robert,

Cant Disagree with that

The man is a Genius !!!
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm jamie.

I’d love to compare my standard one with it
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    I’d love to compare my standard one with it
    You and Steve are only 20 miles or so apart Jamie, an hour so very possible, would be a great evaluation
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Steve.

Hi Robert,

I can get to Brighton in less than 30 mins should Jamie wish to compare, would be interesting

Pm me Jamie
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi Robert,

I can get to Brighton in less than 30 mins should Jamie wish to compare, would be interesting

Pm me Jamie
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm jamie.

just too follow up,we did compare,you can guess where my ha-500 has been sent
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    just too follow up,we did compare,you can guess where my ha-500 has been sent
    he is the man.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Have an HA 1000 which I completely recapped, very nice bit of kit.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread