+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What kit did you aspire to own when you were young and poor?

I'm Tony.

I was a slave to the hifi mags in my youth...

Started with a Dual CS505 turntable, NAD 3020 amp and AR18s speakers.

What I lusted after was an LP12 into a Naim NAIT and Linn Kans (heard at a friends place).

Never got to the LP12, though I did borrow one (also a Thorens TD160) for a short while.

The Rega Planar 3 was as far as my turntable journey got (eagerly carried home on the train from W.A. Brady in Liverpool. Still have it today (albeit tweaked almost beyond recognition). :-)

Tony
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Dominic.

Nothing got my juices flowing more than the sight of one of these beauties

Old skool Marantz were similar apart from the plain ugly knobs

CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What about when you were young and reasonably affluent?
    When I was young I was always reasonably affluent Friday afternoon and fairly skint by Monday morning. I spent more on stuff that made the music sound better than on things to make my stereo sound better.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    When I was young I was always reasonably affluent Friday afternoon and fairly skint by Monday morning. I spent more on stuff that made the music sound better than on things to make my stereo sound better.
    Ha ha ha! :-) :-)

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Ah, that makes sense.

Threw all my old mags out years ago too. Earliest one must of been around 1995 or whenever Kef coda 7 became flavour of the week. My amp was supposedly "Amp of the year" too.
    Yeah I remember reading the KEF Coda 7 review in What HiFi a few times and thinking "Nice...…"

I wonder how much of stuff like them are still around? What happens to old HiFi? Skip?

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Joe View Post
    I wonder how much of stuff like them are still around? What happens to old HiFi? Skip?
    I think ebay/Internet helps to keep old hifi from the skip. Before the Internet became popular, old classic hifi (Tannoy, Ls3/5a etc) was worth buttons compared to now. Kef coda 7 fetch around £40 to £50 on ebay - Not bad for an old budget (£130 new) design that's mostly been forgotten about.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    Nothing got my juices flowing more than the sight of one of these beauties

Old skool Marantz were similar apart from the plain ugly knobs

I’ve seen companies that refurbish these old Marantz receivers and sell them for a few thousand pounds! They were pretty awesome, and I bet still hold their own.

Russ

I'm Paul.

I always aspired to owning a pair of Wharfedale Diamond IV bookshelf speakers when I was a kid. I had a pair of Diamond II when I was younger and wanted some IV's but just couldn't afford them.

In the end, I bought a pair a couple of years ago for my second system
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Ian.

Default Amstrad 5050

There was a time I hankered after an Amstrad 5050 reciever, what a beauty - probably rare as hens teeth these days but having seen some of later dreams, Doge 8 and MA5 amplifiers on the second hand market this week you never know I might get lucky.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    There was a time I hankered after an Amstrad 5050 reciever
    I would feel unclean buying anything with that name on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast