+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rollin' the reels once more

I'm Josie.

Default Rollin' the reels once more

Hi all.

I'm looking to buy another reel. Would love another Studer but what else is good?

My budget is around £1500 - a modest sum?

Been out of the market for quite a while so open to suggestions.

Thanks

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Alan.

the Tascam BR20 and the Otari mx55N are the 2 R2R that I would recommend and will likely need no work to keep them going apart from calibration for your chosen tape type.
    Where possible buy a machine that has been fully serviced and recapped
    The Technics RS1500 is excellent but if it has not all ready been recapped it will need doing or it will fail
    All Revox machines A77, B77, PR99 Mk 1,2,3, I prefer the PR99s myself and again they are excellent but same as above they all need to be recapped or they will fail
    The Akai's have a problem with transistors and capacitors so be aware
    Note there isnt a great deal of people out there that can service these machines and it can be very expensive as it is time consuming solving problems and recapping and ICs may no longer be available
    Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Josie.

Thanks Alan.

I'd definitely get something that has been serviced and calibrated.

As for recapping. Over the years I've had a few machines and heard from various professionals that it's machine dependent and in some cases not at all needed unless you plan to bring the machine back for heavy professional use.

I will get it done though or at least looked at and checked. Anyway, I will always ask advice here so many thanks for your post it's a good place to start.

There are some nice machines you have listed. Not too keen on Akai anyway. Something professional would suit me most. Just the feel of pro kit is something special. If that makes sense.

Takes me back to when I worked at a studio... Lol

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Alan.

Forgot to mention I only use 2 track machines I am not interested in 4 track so all my recommendations are for 2 track
    The Technics RS1500 does have the ability to rec & PB in 2 track and playback 4 track so that is useful if you have any of the old pre recorded tapes
    The Studer machines are the best IMO with the A810 or A812 being ideal for home use
    The A80 and A820 are bigger machines but the top of the line in professional machines.

Other just as excellent professional machines come from Sony, Tascam and OTARI
    Otari MTR 10, 15 80, 90 etc II really like Otari machines as well excellent build and sound

Sony APR 5003 I have never owned one of these machines so can't comment, they look excellent, Charlie has them so can report

Tascam ATR 60 is a superb machine as well

There is always a lot of disagreement on the recapping debate and I see the validity of each side of the debate, should we just fix what is broken when it happens or should you do all and carry out preventative measures for long reliability?, that choice is up to the individual
    My own fear is the reports of failing caps that fail short an allow DC into circuits that can cause damage particularly to ICs which may no longer be available for these 30-40 year old machines.
    Leaky caps in the RS1500 have been reported as causing considerable damage to the circuit boards.
    There is lots of discussion on this over on Tapheads.net

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Josie.

Thanks, Alan. Some good advice.

The Sony is a lovely machine. Would love to try one out.

Anyway, I'll take this thread over to tape heads. Thanks for your help.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Charlie.

Josie,

I think that the Sony APR5003 is a better sounding deck than the A807. It also has IMO a better tape transport and easy calibration in software on the drop down front door. Sadly (for you) I still use your A807 on a regular basis, as it is the only one of my machines, which I can play pancakes with AEG DIN bobbies.

The only problem about the Sony is a relative lack of spares compared to Studer. But then again, the Sonys were all manufactured in the late 80s, so they are relative youngsters in the R2R world.

Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Charlie.

Josie,

Another decent option would be refurbished Telefunken machine - the workhorse machines in Germany. Hilpert audio were the German Telefunken service agents and have fully serviced machos available, starting at £2000 our thereabouts.

http://www.hilpert-audio.de/audio/in...te_aeg_m20.htm

Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Josie.

Hi Charlie.

Thanks very much.

The Telefunken machines look and are amazing.. I've been lucky enough to actually use one many many years ago whilst working at a studio. From what I remember it was preferred over the Studer but for what reason I cannot remember but it was always in use. I think it was either down to reliability or it was because it was 1/2" two track but cannot be sure.

I remember collapsing the tracks down to it and the sound was very impressive as it was linked up to the big monitors through a very simple 8 track desk.

I totally forgot about that so thanks very much for the reminder.

Glad your A807 is still doing well. - I may have the oportunity to buy another one from the same place. But the opportunity (albeit small) to get an A810 or something else is tempting.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread