+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Info needed on this obscure Valve Pre Amp...Sound Design Studio...

I'm Don.

Default Info needed on this obscure Valve Pre Amp...Sound Design Studio...

Hi all
    picked this Pre up recently...did some googling as you do, but no results...it's labeled Sound Design Studio...

Has anyone any info on this kit?
    Very similar to some Croft pre's I've seen in the past (Epoch etc) ....I've a sneaky feeling it was manufactured late 80's/early 90's.

Some quirky points on this unit...the case is closed....no ventilation holes for valves ...
    Uses 2 x Sovtek 6922 + 2 x Golden Dragon Ecc83's (which I've replaced with Mullard ECC83 NOS)
    Just waiting to pick up some better 6922's..There's some RS caps in there, Regulator valve (me thinks) ECL85 Mullard...and the rear panel has a mix of RCA connectors... (Which I may replace with Audio note silver ones...)

Sounds good, with room for improvement...any ideas on History before I splash some cash on it?

I'm Andrew.

Cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by donmarrese View Post
    did some googling as you do, but no results
    You're right Don. I did a search and there's nothing out there on it that I can find and I'm good at tracking stuff down. Maybe it was a prototype.

I'm Grant.

its got a alchamist look about it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

Very nice.
    I agree looks very 'Croft-esque', regulator, layout and two volume pots. Never heard of Sound Design Studios though...

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    its got a alchamist look about it
    my thoughts too Grant. The Kraken industrial hammer tone look. Maybe same guy Andy Light.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Don.

Thanks for the input so far guys, it's got a serial number ala Croft as well...
    Model 51 P
    Serial No. 007 (shit, it belongs to the Home Office..!!!)

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by jollyfix View Post
    my thoughts too Grant. The Kraken industrial hammer tone look. Maybe same guy Andy Light.
    You could have a point here, as I think Alchemist were based in North London, Muswell Hill, and the previous owner..(departed) lived in Hampstead...

I'm Dave.

http://www.alchemisthifi.info/ranges..._rear_1000.jpg
    Dout anything to do with Alchemist, but not many around with similar casework. Could be a route to take and may give more info to find out who made it etc.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

+ Reply to Thread