+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: WTD - Active Preamp

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You've moved on, so hopefully not too late...

The Nak preamps weren't Pass designs I recall, only the Threshold Stasis-based power amps - and these with banks of output transistors (ten a side in the PA7 models I recall), took two hours to come on song from cold - I sold several and owned a PA5mk2 which used to just about come alive as I was going to bed on an evening music session! The ARC SP14 was in a different plane of existence with a huge deep and wide soundstage in comparison which the Croft 4PP had as well. My CA7 was well made though, but the line stage was musically bland sadly, despite the superb build *in the flesh* inside and out. Maybe they chucked too much into it, I don't know. The CA7 did easily beat a Naim 72/HiCap, but today that's not saying much as the Naim projected the sound forward and 2-D and didn't reproduce air and space as the 82/HiCap, 82/Supercap and 52/SuperCap did... Old memories here, apologies...

The CURRENT Crofts don't sound at all rosy and warm in terms of colouration. The old ones could and when I had the last 4PP preamp a very few years ago, Glenn talked me through 'neutralising' it, to bring it more up to date and it came on leaps and bounds. He wanted it back to do the phono stage and check the rest as well, but I never did it and it's long gone now sadly. I hear the Micro 25 regularly and it's superb. My vibe is that Glenn has got an honest 'tone' from the stock valves he uses, but if you wanted to sex it up, you could look out some vintage or mil-spec valves. As supplied, it's honest to the source as checked with an op-amp based preamp that has no 'sound' at all that I can hear.

The Croft phono stage is good too but MM only, but I digress.

I'm only mentioning Croft because the M25 can be upgraded later. The Micro basic available a few years ago can't be updated by Glenn and sounded a bit scrappy in comparison I remember. Glenn's a good guy and loves his music. The whole 'Keep It Simple Stupid' ideal is very much alive in his world - thank Gawd!
    Last edited by DSJR; 19-06-2018 at 08:34.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Grant.

ca5 was designed by John Curl and Nelson Pass
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

OK. Doesn't excuse the musical qualities though, but 'Top End' preamps were the pits in the 80's imo and these things are now costly used so I couldn't try another to see how they are now on modern sources. I just felt I listened with my eyes too much back then and remember, the Linn Kairn hadn't come out at this time and this one moved forward over previous models (their AV preamp set to stereo was also better again over the Kairn I recall)
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Bigman80 Guest

Hi Jim,

Cheers matey, id be interested to hear how everything sounds through the croft but I have moved in the direction of this :-

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

Hopefully, once completed, we could do a little bakeoff and see how they differ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Oli I could pop by one evening with my 25R and you could try your phono stage through the linestage. I had most of Firebottles stuff running like this and they sounded rather good.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    OK. Doesn't excuse the musical qualities though, but 'Top End' preamps were the pits in the 80's imo
    A lot were. The Rappaport I was using was an exception though.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    A lot were. The Rappaport I was using was an exception though.
    On my list of 'One that got away'! I bought one, then returned it as it had a hum (I thought). Later.....etc..
    Always liked the fact that they had a secret section potted up in resin!
    Love to find one.
    Chris.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345