+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Repair, leave as is or replace Valdus centre speaker?

I'm Joe.

One result just in....

Valdus versus no centre at all?

- At first I really wasn't sure, but after listening to the same film clip over and over. It was a very close call, but I am calling it for the Valdus. I think the sound focusing on the telly is better for dialogue than the more spatial 2 channel stereo. But I'd get used to it without also. But the centre wins.

Centre 1
    No centre 0

My Diamond 9s are in the attic and I don't have a ladder here at the moment, so that next test will have to wait.

I'm Joe.

OKay I still haven't gotten my ladder back so haven't gotten into the attic to get the Diamond 9s down to test one of them as a centre. The only way one would fit would be on it's side, so I'm not sure that would be idea anyway?

I would go out tomorrow and buy a Dali Zensor Vokal centre (266 quid new) to match my Dali Zensor 5 main speakers, but due to a restriction on centre speaker dept that cannot happen. And to be honest I've never had a problem with the centre not being the same make/ family.

After testing between my current Whafedale Valdus centre and no centre speaker, I definitely prefer having a centre speaker.

So in the mean while I have come across a mint Ruark Dialogue one centre and a mint Monitor Audio Silver 10i centre for about the same price. Both are about 210mm deep. My max is 200 mm deep, but 10mm sticking out I can live with. Both come in at around 200 quid delivered.

So out of these two what would be your opinions? Which would be the prefered choice? Would they be an upgrade on my Valdus?

The Dialogue One would be a nice piece of old British craftmanship from the same era of my system. I'm guessing the Silver 10i is about 15 years(?) younger and more mass produced, but has a lower end freq. 48hz versus 70hz.

I'm Martin.

Did you re-configure your amp to work with no centre speaker before you tried it?

Anyway of the 2 I would go for the Ruark I think. Those MA silver are a bit full on.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Did you re-configure your amp to work with no centre speaker before you tried it?

Anyway of the 2 I would go for the Ruark I think. Those MA silver are a bit full on.
    Thanks for the quick reply. And I know for 10/10ths of perfection I should match the centre with my mains, but I just can't fit the Dali centre. It's just too deep. I have 200mm to play with and the Dali is 268mm so it would be sticking way out into my room. Unless I used it as a TV stand but then I imagine that the vibrations would kill the telly eventually...?

I did set the AV amp to no centre versus having one. I could definitely live without a centre speaker as the sound is still good even if more spacial. But after a lot of comparing like for like, I do prefer the more centrally focused sound from the centre speaker.
    So while the difference is very slight, having a centre just pips having no centre at the post for the win for me.

I'm Joe.

Or else a Mission 77C1 for about 100 quid?

I'm Joe.

Default Final Decision

I've changed tack again, and made my final decision. After the advice given and further testing, I would prefer to match the main and centre. From listening to other peoples systems, it does make a difference....

I would love the full fat Zensor Vokal but as said, I just can't fit one. :-(

And after speaking with my local Dali dealer I will go for the Zensor Pico Vokal. One option was to get a Zensor 1 and use it on it's side, but they only sell the Zensor 1 in pairs. And apart from that they said that the Pico is 90% of a Zensor 1 anyway, just reduced in size. It based on the same Zensor family so should be a good tonal match.

I was thinking of the Dali Spektor Vokal (200 quid) but they said to stick with the Zensor Pico (100 quid) to match the tone of the Zensor 5s.
    So the Zenzor Pico Vokal it is then. And the cheapest of all my options!

I'm Craig.

Taking into consideration that the centre speaker is for dialogue only, which is not picked up by the left and right fronts, and in my own experience, it really isn’t that important to have all 3 fronts from the same manufacturer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Joe.

Smile

A new and FINAL final change of direction.....
    The day before I was meant to be picking up the Zensor Pico from my local Dali dealer an advert popped up for a pair of Dali Zensor 1s and a Dali Zensor Vokal which were 6 months old...……..and all for 200 quid! :-0

My whole point was that I could not fit the Vokal (266 new)…….
    And I have no need or interest in Zensor 1s (254 new)………

But that price!!!! Bugger!!!!!! Arrgghhh!!!! So I pulled the trigger and they arrived this morning at 9am...

I just watch a film as a test for the centres... Wow! The difference between my Valdus and the Vokal is massive! Voices are so much clearer and natural, and more punchey. I'm happy! Well apart from not being able to fit it!!
    So my only option is to butcher the new TV/HiFi unit that we bought last year...…...bugger!!

And what about the Zensor 1s? Sell them? Well I have a spare Audiolab 8000A and a CD player so I could use them as a small system in the dinning room...….and my wife thought that was a great idea! :-0 :-) :-) Happy days!

Well apart from the hassle of butchering the TV unit....

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    Taking into consideration that the centre speaker is for dialogue only, which is not picked up by the left and right fronts, and in my own experience, it really isn’t that important to have all 3 fronts from the same manufacturer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes I never had the centre matching the mains or rears and I never felt that there was an issue. The difference of having the Vokal is huge, but I say that it down to it being a much bigger and better speaker. I can't say that it is because it matches the mains as I have nothing equivalent to compare it against.

I'm Mike.

What i was told by the AV engineers at work is that 5.1, 7.1 whatever was invented for cinema where you have 10 to 15m between your front L & R speakers so in that size of space and to give everyone in the audience good sound a centre speaker is needed, in the home that isn't the case so it isn't really a necessity, i use one and think it works fine it's very subjective though

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123