+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This is why i won’t send vintage Hifi

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I paid ~£200 for a flight-standard packing case to transport a £2,000 record deck from Hungary. The packing case was massive with 60mm dense foam packing all around inside, fitted with metal fixings and canvas straps.

The arm had been removed, counterweight detached and both and packed separately. The platter was removed, the bearing drained of oil which was decanted into a separate bottle and the platter replaced, but packed so it was spaced from the chassis. Small items such as the cartridge/headshell and output leads were also packed separately.

When I collected the item from the airport the packing case turned out to be so large I couldn't get it into my car, so had to unpack it there and there, place all the contents in the back of the car and discard the wonderful (and expensive) wooden packing case!
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I paid ~£200 for a flight-standard packing case to transport a £2,000 record deck from Hungary. The packing case was massive with 60mm dense foam packing all around inside, fitted with metal fixings and canvas straps.

The arm had been removed, counterweight detached and both and packed separately. The platter was removed, the bearing drained of oil which was decanted into a sepatate bottle and the platter replaced, but packed so it was spaced from the chassis. Small items such as the cartridge/headshell and output leads were also packed separately.

When I collected the item from the airport the packing case turned out to be so large I couldn't get it into my car, so had to unpack it there and there, place all the contents in the back of the car and discard the wonderful (and expensive) wooden packing case!
    That’s the only way , bomb proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

The arm had been removed, counterweight detached and both and packed separately. The platter was removed, the bearing drained of oil which was decanted into a separate bottle and the platter replaced, but packed so it was spaced from the chassis. Small items such as the cartridge/headshell and output leads were also packed separately.

It actually sounds like you got a good deal on that packing given the amount of effort and material that must have gone into it.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    It actually sounds like you got a good deal on that packing given the amount of effort and material that must have gone into it.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    The seller was used to sending high value items of audio equipment around the world, so it was nothing unusual for him to have such packing cases made.

I ought to add there had been several e-mail exchanges between us, so I was assured that he knew what he was doing.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123