+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sony bdp 550/560 as transport - some findings and a ps3 related queery

I'm David.

Anyone fancy hazarding an answer at my query
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm fightingmywayoutofawetecho.

Quote Originally Posted by Getgaff View Post
    One point to make about the PS3 - it can be damn noisy once those cooling fans kick in. It could never be a completely silent transport and that might be important to some.
    I'm using the latest version with the 250 gig HD which seems quiet enough to me.

I must say even the previous 80 gig version i had wasnt too noisy either certainly not enough to spoil the music.

Glad you like the PS3 media server Leo
    My System:

Linn Akurate DSM,Naim 32.5 pre amp Hicap,Naim Snaxo Hicap,3x Naim 250 power amps,Active Naim NBLs.
    Dave Hewitt MR PLANK 4 watt SE and Jm Lab Electra 905s.

I'm David.

Ian, can the ps3 stream high Rez files?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Hi Hamish,

I'm streaming FLAC files which i believe the PS3 transcodes to WAV on the fly.

I also stream divx,xvid and blue ray movie files,this is more successful when ps3 is wired though music(FLAC) works fine wireless.

If you google that question there is shitloads of info on there.

Sorry i cant be more help mate.

Ian.
    My System:

Linn Akurate DSM,Naim 32.5 pre amp Hicap,Naim Snaxo Hicap,3x Naim 250 power amps,Active Naim NBLs.

I'm David.

I think I might buy one of these new ps3's and see how it compares to the majik

Be very interesting to hear your views on that Hamish.
    My System:

I'm David.

Indeed, I just need to find a bit of moolar, and il get on it!
    Would be quite nice if it was better, I could take hannah on the holiday with the money from selling the majik!!

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    Ian, can the ps3 stream high Rez files?
    Since installing PS3 media server it seems to play 24/96 but won't do anything higher which is a damn shame, Its still much better than it was when I was using Tversity though.
    Sorry I can't help with your other questions

Sound as a transport isn't bad, I just wish it was co-axial output instead of optical, the analogue output imo is total shite, the dacs kick seven bells out of it, I'll hopefully be trying a mates newer PS3 soon
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm David.

I'd be interested to hear your views on the new ps3's internal dac Leo ...

I'm David.

Could you not do the relevent modifications to give it a coaxial output... What about improving it as a transport, is that something you would be capable of?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast