+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Russia 2018

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I agree, it's pointless.
    You forget that FIFA is not about football: it's about money. The playoff will rake in a bucket load of cash with tv rights and advertising.

Geoff

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    You forget that FIFA is not about football: it's about money. The playoff will rake in a bucket load of cash with tv rights and advertising.

Geoff
    I agree, FIFA are a disgrace, have been for years and should have been disbanded a long time back.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I see my earlier post went down rather like a lead balloon!

Place is too full of miserable bastards. lol...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Nah Im more on the angry side about it. 1-0 up at sixty minutes you work at it and you work hard...so near yet so far. Maybe its not a good idea for England to go up too early as they seem to take the foot off the gas in the wrong way

Croatia were not an inferior team but I didnt see an unbeatable side with astounding flair. A solid team but with hard work we can nick that edge and steal an opportunity.

The cameras show us being picked apart from about 30 minutes onwards. Hanging on for dear life became the theme. There just seems to be to be a typical English complacency and tally ho lads, we invented the game, attitude. I want to see the passion and energy of Japan running for the ball and going for every tackle. Theres a level of intensity at that level I would expect to see

England were obviously not good enough but theres something where they didnt step up for the fight which really niggles. You fight and you defend like your life depended on it but they seemed to give up or run out of steam far too early.

All this footballs coming home malarkey is making us look a bit stupid really. Im annoyed..... can you tell
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 13-07-2018 at 19:18.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol, yes! I guess I must just think differently about these things. If I were an England fan, although I'd be disappointed my team didn't reach the final, I'd take a step back and be pleased that my team did very well - far better than originally expected.

You have to remove the hype and look at things more realistically. Until this tournament, England hadn't managed to qualify for the semi-finals of a World Cup for 28 years; in fact they often had struggled to get out of the initial group stages, so for them, this tournament *has* to be viewed as a HUGE SUCCESS.

If you think any differently, then you're not being a realist, or living in cloud-cuckoo land, having swallowed all the 'It's coming home' bollocks, believing that England could've won the World Cup. You guys need to be grateful for small mercies... Try being a Scotland fan!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

I was in Scotland for 2 weeks during the 1978 World Cup - and you think horses have long faces!

Not being a football fan, I would normally have used the England games as an opportunity to get out on the bike for some traffic-free fun. Not this time. I got caught up in it a little bit. Although disappointed by the defeat by Croatia, I think we can be proud of our lot. After all, we finished higher than almost every country in the world.

Or am I looking at it wrong? Should I be thinking 'if it doesn't end with us lifting the Cup, we may as well not bother'? I see a bright future for this young team, but then I know Jack Shit about football.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm gordan.

Incidentally today I saw bits of Euro 2004 game which England won 4:2.

Within seconds it was obvious what England in 2018 lacked: Gerrard, Beckham, Lampard, Scholes, Rooney, Owen... and they were all starters, have no clue how Ericsson made that.

Today, not a single player capable of this level of football...
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    Incidentally today I saw bits of Euro 2004 game which England won 4:2.

Within seconds it was obvious what England in 2018 lacked: Gerrard, Beckham, Lampard, Scholes, Rooney, Owen... and they were all starters, have no clue how Ericsson made that.

Today, not a single player capable of this level of football...
    We're back to coming out with nonsense again, eh?
    Some bollocks about a Golden Generation.
    The Golden Generation were mismanaged, and couldn't qualify for tournaments.
    So much for rose tinted specs and the Golden Generation.

What the current squad lack in out and out skill is made up for with camaraderie and togetherness that hasn't been a part of the England setup since Italia 90, and if you don't agree with me read the linked article in full https://www.mancity.com/news/first-t...ub-to-progress

The success of this England side at this World Cup is just a starting point.
    To get to be in the last four in a World Cup is no mean feat.
    They have far exceeded our expectations, have played without fear for themselves, for each other, and for their country.
    They have done us proud!

I think we have the right man in charge too - Gareth Southgate is not above asking more experienced and successful coaches for advice, and he has been Guardiola's guest at the CFA.
    I suspect he's been welcomed at a few other clubs as well.

History doesn't make a great team, it's the here and now, and day to day work that makes a great team.
    Great teams make history, but it requires continual effort.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm gordan.

is you everyday job related to motivational speech?

would be happy to see your theory comes true, though not sure if draw will again arrange a level of morocco, panama, colombia and sweden. i may be a pessimist but in the end of the day, you can't substitute skill for any other virtue, at critical positions - just compare kane and mandzukic, or sterling and perisic, all from wednesday, for starters. this is what decided the game.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post

England were obviously not good enough but theres something where they didnt step up for the fight which really niggles. You fight and you defend like your life depended on it but they seemed to give up or run out of steam far too early.

i totally agree with that,you've hit the nail right on the head.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast