+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Russia 2018

I'm inactive.

Crikey - not seen this much political action on AoS since someone mentioned global warming

Chill guys - it's only a bleedin footie tournament - WW3 is next week !!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, I fully agree, but NOT if you're a professional broadcaster. In that respect, keep a tin lid on your pro-England excesses and anti-German sentiments, as they won't necessarily be appreciated by everyone watching or listening. Simples!

The relatively unique situation we have in the UK, is that we're a nation made up of four different countries, not just one, as is mostly the norm elsewhere, each with their own fiercely patriotic/tribal set of football supporters, so I don't think it's unreasonable for our national broadcasters to understand that what England supporters might want to hear during a World Cup football match, is not necessarily what the rest of us in the UK do, and make allowances for that.

Can you understand, Geoff, why the bias that currently exists, in that respect, might irk some of us? We need to have a BBC, not an EBC. And the same also applies to ITV.

How would you like it, as an England fan, if the national commentary you had to listen to during international football matches was as heavily biased towards Scottish, Welsh or Irish sensibilities?

We need to move away from the notion that exists of it's only what England fans want that matters. This is one of the reasons why I support independence, as this type of English control/dominance is endemic in British society, on all sorts of levels - football coverage is but only a small part of it!

Marco.
    Have you heard the Portuguese and Spanish commentators - hardly restrained?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes, but you're missing the point, James. I wouldn't expect them to be restrained.

They're broadcasting to the Portuguese and Spanish people, at least 90% of whom will appreciate (and indeed expect) bias to be shown towards Portugal and Spain. You could cite the majority of other countries in the world, in that respect, as being the same - their broadcasters are largely preaching to the converted.

It's different in Britain, where such pro-English bias/anti-German sentiment, as was seen yesterday from the English media, is not necessarily going to be appreciated by the Scots, Welsh and Irish. The UK, the last time I looked, doesn't just consist of England!

I trust you can appreciate the difference?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Crikey - not seen this much political action on AoS since someone mentioned global warming

Chill guys - it's only a bleedin footie tournament - WW3 is next week !!
    How very dare you!

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." Bill (definitely not English) Shankly!

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I have a Welsh friend who has no desire to see England do well but was absolutely delighted to see Germany lose yesterday, I'm pretty certain that my dad a proud welshie would have enjoyed it too, so your argument isn't entirely convincing Marco.

Also to describe Gary Lineker as a professional broadcaster is stretching it a bit? An ex professional footballer who got landed a plumb job more like, I resent how much license fee money he's getting.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Geoff.

Seriously though, Geoff, have you ever wondered why folks abroad feel that way towards the English? Could it be the bigger picture created by behaviour, such as I've outlined earlier?

Having toured extensively all over Europe, since I was five years old, I can tell you that there have always been advantages gained by letting the locals know that I was from Scotland, not England, and similarly in more recent times, my wife letting them know that she was Welsh (her other half, along with German).

In my experience, the Scots, Welsh and Irish tend to be welcomed with open arms by the locals abroad, yet not so much the English, who seem to be resented more. I wonder why that is?

Marco.
    Marco,

the reason for widespread anti-English hostility is obvious: Britain's colonial history. Even though many of those involved in the colonies were from Scotland, Ireland and Wales, the English are "credited" with the policy and practice of colonisation. Do I understand it? Absolutely, my grandparents grew up under British rule in Ireland and my parents. uncles and aunts experienced extreme prejudice when they came to London in search of work in the 50's. However, I really do think you are over-reacting to a bit of acerbic banter from a player who suffered many back luck breaks against Germany in his career. Compared to how most other nations react when England gets stuffed it was very mild!

Geoff

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Can I just say that I take no pleasure in seeing Germany going out yesterday
    I couldn't give a monkey's who wins or loses or goes out of the tournament, but I thought South Korea's second goal was one of the funniest TV moments of the year.

I'm Julian.

I think something is getting confused here - I (and English commentators) can be delighted that Germany have been knocked out without being ‘anti-German’. My German friends would completely understand that. It has nothing to do with ethnicity - people are pleased that the favourites are out early and England won’t have to face a penalty shoot-out with them! We are talking about a football team, not the entire German race. Also if you look at the reported global social media reaction to Germany losing, it’s a world-wide trend and plenty of other nationalities are pleased Germany is out as well!

Also, I really don't get this 'Britain's Colonial Past' thing at all. Does anyone think we were the only country in Europe with a colonial past? Of course not. Like wise is it sensible to have a grudge against all Germans for their far right past? I have never come across *anyone* in all my travels worldwide who has alluded to the poor reputation of the English in this way. The stuff I regularly come across is the football hooligan reputation and getting pissed all day and behaving badly on holiday.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm joe.

It's different in Britain, where such pro-English bias/anti-German sentiment, as was seen yesterday from the English media, is not necessarily going to be appreciated by the Scots, Welsh and Irish. The UK, the last time I looked, doesn't just consist of England!
    Yebbut as the UK we all united to beat the Germans. Twice. I expect the vast majority of Scots, Welsh and (Northern) Irish will have been unbothered by either pro-English or anti-German sentiment.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    Also, I really don't get this 'Britain's Colonial Past' thing at all. Does anyone think we were the only country in Europe with a colonial past? Of course not.
    Indeed. Belgium's colonial record was far worse than Britain's.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast