+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Russia 2018

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yeah I thought the ref was very poor and let the Tunisian players away with way too much, especially pushing and shoving in the box at corners. However, this result should give the England players a lot of confidence and take the pressure off them (and the manager) for a bit. It's a platform to build on.

However, like I said, I just hope they don't go thinking that the Panama game is a guaranteed three points. They need to treat that game exactly as they did the Tunisia one, or they could be in trouble.

Marco.
    I don't think there is any danger of complacency Marco, especially after tonight's game, I think the strategy should be the same, really go at them in the first half hour, if that doesn't work then then be patient like Belgium.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Martin.

Sorry, I don't bet so have no idea what that means...How can you predict two winners and all those different scores? I thought it had to be one winner and one scoreline per match?

Marco.
    The bookies don't care they will take as many bets on as many different scorelines or winners as you like. But if you cover too many bases you won't win enough to cover all the bets.

Anyway, great England performance, could have been five nil. Best I've seen England play in a competitive game in years.

Belgium v Panama bit less exciting, Belgium seemed to take a long time to come to life.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Them and Belgium are good bets to go far imo.
    Let's take it a step at a time. At the moment, England are nowhere near at the level of the top teams in the competition, but they have some quality, which with the right breaks could take them further than they've been in years.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    I don't think there is any danger of complacency Marco, especially after tonight's game, I think the strategy should be the same, really go at them in the first half hour, if that doesn't work then then be patient like Belgium.
    Did you not hear Rio Ferdinand say that Panama were "no great shakes", almost dismissing them in the process? It's that kind of mindset that can get through to the players, and no doubt the English media will further feed that sort of over-confidence. That's what England have to guard against, not complacency.

The rest, I agree with

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The bookies don't care they will take as many bets on as many different scorelines or winners as you like. But if you cover too many bases you won't win enough to cover all the bets.
    Ah I see, the scattergun approach?

Anyway, great England performance, could have been five nil. Best I've seen England play in a competitive game in years.

Belgium v Panama bit less exciting, Belgium seemed to take a long time to come to life.
    No doubt overall England played well, but against better opposition they'll need to be much more clinical, or they'll be punished.

Belgium pretty much cruised through their game in third gear, and simply popped it about when they felt like it. The quality of their finishing though was different class - and that's precisely what England are currently lacking, as evidenced in the first half of tonight's game. It'll come though, if they get the chance.

Marco.
    Main System

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Did you not hear Rio Ferdinand say that Panama were "no great shakes", almost dismissing them in the process? It's that kind of mindset that can get through to the players, and no doubt the English media will further feed that sort of over-confidence. That's what England have to guard against, not complacency.

The rest, I agree with

Marco.
    If it was Woy still in charge or Sven I would be concerned but I think Southgate has a different approach, I'm sure he'll keep them focused on what's needed against Panama.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Martin.

Ah I see, the scattergun approach?

Marco.
    Not quite. For the two games I bet today I put on a total of £12 and I will walk into the bookies tomorrow with my slips and they will hand me £30 back. It's a good start.
    Current Lash Up:

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    If it was Woy still in charge or Sven I would be concerned but I think Southgate has a different approach, I'm sure he'll keep them focused on what's needed against Panama.
    I agree, and have been impressed so far with Southgate's professional and methodical approach. He had the players very well prepared and all knowing what their jobs were. It's also clear that he has their respect and that camaraderie in the camp is good.

It augurs well for the future, even if this World Cup campaign isn't the biggest success. Time will tell

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not quite. For the two games I bet today I put on a total of £12 and I will walk into the bookies tomorrow with my slips and they will hand me £30 back. It's a good start.
    Enjoy... In terms of your prediction for the winner though, ignore Brazil or France at your peril

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

I agree, and have been impressed so far with Southgate's professional and methodical approach. He had the players very well prepared and all knowing what their jobs were. It's also clear that he has their respect and that camaraderie is good.

It augurs well for the future, even if this World Cup campaign isn't the biggest success. Time will tell

Marco.
    I'm not so sure about Southgate. What did he say to them at half-time? When they came back out it they slowed it right down. It was like watching a different team until about 15 minutes before the end when some of the inspiration came back.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast