+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Russia 2018

I'm Svend.

Back to the BBC 5 worldwide radio broadcasts, the second announcer for this game seems to be Scottish (can't quite place his accent), and he's a mumbler. For the life of me, I can't understand half of what he's saying! Gobbledygook. It's actually quite funny in a way, as he launches into these excited animated descriptions of the action, and I honestly have no idea what he's saying. Like trying to decipher a 2-year-old just learning to speak. Hilarious! Otherwise a great broadcast, and what an exciting game!

EDIT: yes, he is Scottish, Pat Nevin. Cheerful fellow. Great to listen to, even if I can't understand most of it...
    Last edited by Svend N; 06-07-2018 at 19:49.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed, we're in for a real thriller now! Knew there'd be goals in this one

At the moment, Belgium are by far the better side. Unless Brazil seriously up their game, I think they could be in trouble... Plenty of time to go, though.

Marco.
    Not happening though is it? Belgium have dominated throughout. Against Brazil!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nope, they seem to be going out on a whimper... Pretty poor performance from Brazil unless something dramatic happens very quickly. TBH, Belgium are more likely to score a third, by hitting them on the break, as they press to try and save the match.

Looks like the 'European venue hoodoo' has hit again for Brazil! If that proves the case, you've really got to fancy Belgium to win the cup. Plus, it arguably improves England's chances, that is if you consider Brazil would've been tougher opposition.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Back to the BBC 5 worldwide radio broadcasts, the second announcer for this game seems to be Scottish (can't quite place his accent), and he's a mumbler. For the life of me, I can't understand half of what he's saying! Gobbledygook. It's actually quite funny in a way, as he launches into these excited animated descriptions of the action, and I honestly have no idea what he's saying. Like trying to decipher a 2-year-old just learning to speak. Hilarious! Otherwise a great broadcast, and what an exciting game!

EDIT: yes, he is Scottish, Pat Nevin. Cheerful fellow. Great to listen to, even if I can't understand most of it...
    Ha - that's funny! Accents like that can be hard to decipher if you're not used to them

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ha - that's funny! Accents like that can be hard to decipher if you're not used to them

Marco.
    Normally I'm OK with the Scottish accent, but Pat Nevin had marbles in his mouth today, at least to my ears. Too funny! A treat to listen to, regardless. So upbeat and positive.

Great game! Really enjoyed listening to it. Looking forward to actually watching England play tomorrow...on television! and not sitting at my desk. Not sure who I'll be rooting for - Sweden or England. No matter, I'll just enjoy the game.

Does anyone here think the Croatia-Russia game will be a sham like Spain-Russia was? What a joke! If the whole corruption thing hadn't happened, how Russia got the World Cup in the first place, I wouldn't be so cynical. But watching Spain basically walk their way through that game and hand it to Russia on a platter, it really makes me wonder.

Default Brazil 1 Belgium 2

Well, there we are. In the end, Brazil tried hard, but didn't have enough quality in their finishing to put Belgium to bed, when they were barely hanging on. They've got Courtois to thank for keeping them in the tournament, with a wonderful save from Neymar. Brazil were denied a clear penalty at the end, when Kompany blatantly brought down Gabriel Jesus. However, it was reviewed by VAR and bizarrely not given.

So...... The remaining teams in the tournament are now all European, only two of which are previous winners: France and England. And only one of my tips to win the cup, France, now remain. This is got to be England's best chance of winning the World Cup for years. With every game that passes, and another tournament favourite bites the dust, it's almost as if the scene were being set for it to be England's year.

However, on the evidence of what I've seen so far of Belgium, especially tonight in the first half, and France, IMO, both are considerably better teams than England, but you just never know. For me, Belgium are now favourites, and of all the teams we've seen play throughout the tournament, they have consistently played the best football, plus they've always sought to entertain - and for me that will always win them Brownie points.

Svend makes an interesting point though about Russia, and if there is hint of corruption going on, [I sincerely hope not, though] which causes Croatia to lose against them, like Spain, then England, if they beat Sweden, could meet Russia in the semi-finals and face the same fate... However, corruption aside, Croatia, on their day, are by far the better team and more dangerous potential opponents for England. As I have a soft spot for them, I'll certainly be rooting for Croatia to beat Russia.

If England are to win this cup, then it's certain they'll have to beat either France or Belgium - undoubtedly a very tough task, but not an impossible one. So it's all eyes on the game tomorrow against Sweden!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

I think we are capable of stepping it up a notch. We've only played one proper game so far and that was against a South American side, with a different style and dirty with it.

Against European sides in a game that matters I think we can do it. But Sweden will be the proof in the pudding. A confident two-nil victory there tomorrow and I'll permit myself to start thinking it is possible.

If we just scrape it then I won't.
    Current Lash Up:

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I think Croatia will beat Russia tomorrow and convincingly!

England v Sweden, I have a feeling that the swedes will get a goal and park the bus and frustrate England, winning 1-0, I don't like to be negative but that's how I see it.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Martin.

England of old, yes, but this team seem to have a bit more about them.
    Current Lash Up:

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    England of old, yes, but this team seem to have a bit more about them.
    I agree, I hope I'm wrong about this but we'll see what happens.
    Just watched the highlights from the Brazil v Belgium game, what a great performance from Belgium, deserved winner's.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast