+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Russia 2018

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I was working in Botswana during the 1995 RWC and drove down to Pretoria to watch the quarter finals (NZ vs Scotland where Lomu destroyed Gavin Hastings). We watched England versus Australia on the big screen in the ground just before the game began. I don't recall most of the Aussies or Kiwis or Afikaneers for that matter distinguishing between England and Scotland in their "friendly banter".
    Are you saying that they were biased against both England and Scotland or what?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Are you saying that they were biased against both England and Scotland or what?

Marco.
    Exactly! Equal insults for Scots and Poms!

Geoff

Well, hey-ho, that's their problem. I'm sure the English feel similarly towards the Germans! How many here would've been cheering last night's last-minute winner against Sweden?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Thumbs up Japan 2 Senegal 2

An excellent and entertaining game of football, played by two teams trying to WIN, and crucially believing that they could! Valid examples of "weak, developing nations" deserving to be at the finals, simply because both are capable of winning a game and/or scoring some goals, unlike the others I mentioned.

Japan have always been a good team to watch, as they're technically gifted and always like to attack, plus in Keisuke Honda they have a proven goalscorer. I can see one of the teams from the EPL coming in to sign him in the summer.

Senegal undoubtedly also have some quality, especially in Liverpool's Sadio Mané, who for me is world class. They're also a difficult team to beat. Plus, they have the coolest looking manager, in Aliou Cissé! Bet he loves some Bob Marley... Yeah, man...

Of course, England will meet one of those teams, or possibly Poland or Columbia, in the last 16, depending on who comes out on top in that match coming up next. Of them all, I think Senegal (or Columbia) would give England the hardest game, so they'd probably want to avoid those two, in the last 16 (if Columbia beat Poland).

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

That was an entertaining game.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    not a fan of quota's or fair play finances for that matter. if someone wants to buy a team, then why not; as long as the money isnt to be demanded back when he/they get fed up etc. all it does is ensure the big teams stay at top and the less well off sides stay that way.
    quota's put pressures on team selection just as much as too many foreign players do. british players need to step up their game; thats the way to do it.
    Very few English clubs are serious about youth development anymore and would rather buy in young talent rather than develop it in-house. Southampton is something of an exception but that may come to an end soon too!

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That was an entertaining game.
    Indeed. Somehow I doubt you'll be saying the same about Poland vs. Columbia...

[Wake me up when it's over].

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

I had the England game on a half hour buffer and everytime I jumped forward there was another goal on the counter. It was almost surreal and I still think its a dream

I missed the Japan game which Im upset about and Columbia have just scored in a bit of a boring game so far

It was a great result, and England played very well indeed (signs that the future with this team looks bright), but as I said earlier I wouldn't get too carried away until they've beaten someone decent.

In that respect, the Belgium game will be the benchmark, which with both teams now having qualified for the knockout stages, I suspect will be a cracker!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Yes Ive been thinking about this new school England team vs the old guard. Just like our policemen they look very young to me All the oldies have now been cleared out and it seems to be reaping results. I dont have a short memory with Southgate though and dont think I can ever forgive his clangers

As you say the real tests are yet to come. Panama did not ever look like contenders with scrappy play and some disgraceful goings on

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast